President Shalala looks forward to eventful year

UM President Donna Shalala is excited about the upcoming year and the possibilities for the University’s future. With the first presidential debate of the 2004 campaign being held at UM, the political interests and involvement of UM students have been pushed into the national spotlight.

“I think the issues of war and peace are of central interest to college students,” Shalala said. “It seems to me that this election is going to determine the character of our country and how we are perceived by other people and how we think about ourselves.”

“You can’t make a university better unless the students see the place as their place.” Donna Shalala University of Miami President

During the 2003-2004 school year. UM made a strong push to get students registered to vote under the Get Out the Vote program, which was a success, registering over 1000 students. Combined with the addition of the Convocation Center as a new voting precinct on campus, UM students stand to have a powerful effect during the elections.

“If they vote, students can have a tremendous impact,” she said. “We’ve provided opportunities for students to register either in their hometown by absentee ballot or to vote here on campus.”

Shalala feels that as an increasing number of students are living on campus year round, it’s important to provide an opportunity to vote on campus.

The impending debate has energized the students of UM and is expected to be the biggest event of the year. Shalala’s tireless efforts to bring the debate to UM were only the beginning of what has become an immense project.

“This is just the warm up,” she said. “It gets really intense after the nominating conventions.”

Shalala is looking forward to the new opportunities becoming available to UM students. She believes that the educational experience and environment is what sets UM apart from other universities.

“You get a great research university with small classes,” Shalala said. “It’s a beautiful setting in a diverse community.”

“What the faculty did this year was to offer more flexibility in the selection of courses for students,” she said. “The future is being able to major in a discipline or in a professional school, while getting as broad an education as possible.”

According to Shalala, this represents a paradigm in curriculum selection.

“This will allow people to fulfill their [degree]requirements by being able to put together courses in different ways,” Shalala said.

As a new year begins and students get settled in classes and other activities, President Shalala encourages every student to get involved in helping to improve UM; the university is here for the students.

“You can’t make a university better unless the students see the place as their place,” Shalala said. “It needs to be a place that provides them with a high quality of life and a high quality education.” I

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ secondary continues to get stronger. Miami, which already holds a pair of comm ...

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

A fabulous team of staff and volunteers labors long and hard, primed with school spirit, behind the ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The global exploration, media, and education company will kick off a national campaign at UM to offe ...

University of Miami head coach Gino DiMare released the Hurricanes' 2019 baseball schedule Thur ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Champion ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team returns to competition this weekend, ...

The University of Miami volleyball team is set to host Clemson and Georgia Tech in the first of four ...

Four members of the Miami women's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Cham ...