Miami’s Daytime Attractions are more than a splash

South Beach
IInfamous for its nearly nude sun worshippers, structurally intricate lifeguard towers and not-so-natural sand, South Beach is epitome of Miami. A playground for residents and visitors alike, South Beach’s lolling waves and white sands are a haven to those who like to tan places where the sun normally doesn’t shine. Always full of life and the distant beats of the strip, South Beach attracts people from all over the world.
Along Ocean Drive from 1st Street to about 22nd Street

Crandon Park Beach
IOne of the prettiest beaches in Miami, Crandon Park Beach is quiet, secluded, and located right on the bay. Not nearly as crowded or as lively, Crandon Park Beach is a more subdued alternative to the wild antics of South Beach, providing a more tranquil atmosphere for those who want to soak up the rays with a good book or a some soft music. Although Crandon Park Beach is geared more for those people who enjoy relaxing at the beach, it is not to be overshadowed. Crandon Park’s combination of breezy winds, a beautiful ocean view, and out of a music video palms will never fail to please.
Key Biscayne at 4000 Crandon Blvd
Venetian Pool
IAbout a mile off of campus, the Venetian Pool is one of the most unique and picturesque water attractions. Carved from a rock quarry in the ’20s, the 820,000-gallon pool was once home to the filming of Tarzan and Jane. Now, it serves residents and visitors as a historical landmark, complete with waterfalls, caves, and a sandy beach. For an entry fee of a mere $3 to $9 depending on the season, the Venetian Pool is a site that shouldn’t be passed up.
2701 DeSoto Blvd. // Coral Gables
305-460-5356 // www.venetianpool.com

Miami Metrozoo
ILocated in west Miami, the Miami Metrozoo is home to dozens of animals from all over the world, including a six-month-old baby rhino, tigers, bears, elephants, and an array of different bird species. Divided into four exhibits, the zoo is an entertaining daytime activity, whether it is spent watching the elephants paint, the tortoise lazily munch on lettuce, or trying to discover the hiding spot of a poisonous tree frog, the zoo offers many interesting species of animals to observe. The zoo is open 365 days a year from 9:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
12400 SW 152nd Street // Miami
305-251-0400 // www.metrozoo.com
Vizcaya
IA historical estate on Key Biscayne, Vizcaya Museum and gardens provides a unique look into the lifestyles of the rich and famous of the past. Originally set on 180 acres the Italian villa, completed in 1916 was once a winter home to James Deering. Now, the estate has been deemed a national historical landmark and is visited by over 200,000 people a year. The remaining 50 acres of property along with the restored villa are a window to over 400 years of European history that was transferred to America through detailed architecture and original pieces of furniture. One of Miami’s most historic landmarks, Vizcaya is truly a breath of life from the past.
3251 S. Miami Ave. // Miami // 305-250-9133 // www.vizcayamuseum.org

Miami Seaquarium
IA major Florida attraction the Miami Seaquarium is home to a variety of sea life including manatees, dolphins, sea lions, and Lolita the Killer Whale. Located on the Rickenbacker Causeway and open from 9:30 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. the Seaquarium dazzles visitors with its numerous attractions, some of which include the dolphin and whale show, the sea lion show, the large parrot aviary, and the many tropical fish aquariums. The seaquarium even offers a swim with the dolphins program, allowing guests to actually get in the water and interact with the gentle creatures of the sea. In concordance with its mission statement, the Miami Seaquarium does everything to “display the animal’s natural abilities and beauty…”
4400 Rickenbacker Causeway
Key Biscayne // 305-361-5705
www.miamiseaquarium.com

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The Miami women's tennis team turned in a strong showing Saturday at the ITA Southeast Regional ...

On the first day of Main Draw action at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Presented by Oracle ...

The University of Miami soccer team closes out action in the Tar Heel state with a match against thi ...

The Miami women's tennis team opened play Friday at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Pr ...

The Miami Hurricanes fell in their tri-meet with Georgia Tech and Notre Dame Saturday afternoon, dro ...