John Kerry rocks Miami’s Rock

Thousands of UM students battled the sun and humidity this past April to be a part of history when Democratic Presidential Candidate John Kerry brought his campaign to campus.

UM pulled out all the stops, turning the Rock into a virtual arena, complete with Secret Service Agents, VIP area, and “Florida is Kerry Country” backdrop.

The crowd consisted mainly of students and faculty, but members of the Coral Gables community were present, in addition to numerous news crews. Kerry signs and buttons were displayed openly among the Kerry supporters who showed up at the rally.

President Shalala credited the College Democrats for bringing Kerry to campus.

“I just made sure that they were able to do it,” Shalala said.

“I’m a Democrat and I just wanted to come and support my candidate for President,” Paul Burkart, freshman, said. “I think that [the turnout]is great. I’ve never seen so many people on campus in one place before.”

Shalala was joined by Sen. Bill Nelson and Florida Congressman Kendrick Meek before Kerry came out on stage.

“We welcome you because you speak for those who have no voice and no job,” Shalala said as Kerry took the microphone, making his grand entrance to an eruption of cheers.

“There are 3,000 people out here, and that’s not a Katherine Harris count,” Kerry said, prompting applause and laughter from the audience.

Kerry again roused the crowd when he asked how President Bush would fare on Donald Trump’s popular reality show The Apprentice.

“You’re fired!” screamed the crowd on cue.

“I came here so you could utter those words on Nov. 2,” Kerry said.

Kerry accused the current President of lying about education and unemployment. He stressed that all of his platforms were paid for in his budget. He outlined his plans on major issues, including college tuition, tax cuts, new sources of energy, healthcare, unemployment and the war in Iraq.

Kerry promised that, if elected, the U.S. would turn authority over to an international coalition to manage the situation in Iraq.

“I pledge to you if you will trust me with the Presidency, within weeks of inauguration…we will turn over a proud new chapter in America’s relations with the world,” Kerry said.

Those in opposition to Kerry made an appearance to express their dissenting opinions. President Bush supporters dotted the crowd with their signs and cheers.

“How can you lower taxes and give people tax cuts and raise taxes for healthcare and everything like that?” Brad Tadum, sophomore, said. “He’s a very good speaker, and it’s going to be a very close election – but I think he’s a hypocrite.”

Students learned that, regardless of their opinions, they would be able to have an impact on their future by participating in the elections.

“I think [Kerry] touched on a lot of good issues, especially issues that pertain to the majority of the crowd,” Dahra Ahned, senior, said. “I wasn’t aware of the issues before coming here, and now I think that I’m better informed on how I’m going to vote in November.” I

Christine Dominguez contributed to this article.

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Coach Manny Diaz said the quarterback race among Ta ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...