John Kerry rocks Miami’s Rock

Thousands of UM students battled the sun and humidity this past April to be a part of history when Democratic Presidential Candidate John Kerry brought his campaign to campus.

UM pulled out all the stops, turning the Rock into a virtual arena, complete with Secret Service Agents, VIP area, and “Florida is Kerry Country” backdrop.

The crowd consisted mainly of students and faculty, but members of the Coral Gables community were present, in addition to numerous news crews. Kerry signs and buttons were displayed openly among the Kerry supporters who showed up at the rally.

President Shalala credited the College Democrats for bringing Kerry to campus.

“I just made sure that they were able to do it,” Shalala said.

“I’m a Democrat and I just wanted to come and support my candidate for President,” Paul Burkart, freshman, said. “I think that [the turnout]is great. I’ve never seen so many people on campus in one place before.”

Shalala was joined by Sen. Bill Nelson and Florida Congressman Kendrick Meek before Kerry came out on stage.

“We welcome you because you speak for those who have no voice and no job,” Shalala said as Kerry took the microphone, making his grand entrance to an eruption of cheers.

“There are 3,000 people out here, and that’s not a Katherine Harris count,” Kerry said, prompting applause and laughter from the audience.

Kerry again roused the crowd when he asked how President Bush would fare on Donald Trump’s popular reality show The Apprentice.

“You’re fired!” screamed the crowd on cue.

“I came here so you could utter those words on Nov. 2,” Kerry said.

Kerry accused the current President of lying about education and unemployment. He stressed that all of his platforms were paid for in his budget. He outlined his plans on major issues, including college tuition, tax cuts, new sources of energy, healthcare, unemployment and the war in Iraq.

Kerry promised that, if elected, the U.S. would turn authority over to an international coalition to manage the situation in Iraq.

“I pledge to you if you will trust me with the Presidency, within weeks of inauguration…we will turn over a proud new chapter in America’s relations with the world,” Kerry said.

Those in opposition to Kerry made an appearance to express their dissenting opinions. President Bush supporters dotted the crowd with their signs and cheers.

“How can you lower taxes and give people tax cuts and raise taxes for healthcare and everything like that?” Brad Tadum, sophomore, said. “He’s a very good speaker, and it’s going to be a very close election – but I think he’s a hypocrite.”

Students learned that, regardless of their opinions, they would be able to have an impact on their future by participating in the elections.

“I think [Kerry] touched on a lot of good issues, especially issues that pertain to the majority of the crowd,” Dahra Ahned, senior, said. “I wasn’t aware of the issues before coming here, and now I think that I’m better informed on how I’m going to vote in November.” I

Christine Dominguez contributed to this article.

Miami baseball coach Gino DiMare didn’t want his Hurricanes this past Sunday looking ahead to the we ...

When UM spring practice begins in a month, here’s one of many things the coaches need to determine: ...

Jaiden Francois already had a reputation as one of South Florida’s top defensive backs for the Class ...

It could be a fruitful year for the Miami Hurricanes in the 2019 NFL Draft. NFL Draft analyst Mel Ki ...

A quick six-pack off UM coach Manny Diaz’s conversation with Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey Jr. on WQAM’ ...

Students are invited to participate in the second annual Students of Color Symposium this weekend, f ...

The University of Miami connects scholarship recipients with the donors who helped make their educat ...

From eliminating waste to reusable containers, there are simple steps you can take to make UM more s ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

The Ring Theatre’s contemporary reworking of Molière’s “The Misanthrope” showcases the skills of UM’ ...

The University of Miami got off to a dream start at the ACC Swimming & Diving Championships Wedn ...

The sophomore first baseman smashed two homers to help power Canes to 4-0 start. ...

The University of Miami track and field team is set to compete at the 2019 ACC Indoor Track and Fiel ...

The Hurricanes will wrap up a four-game homestand with a midweek game against FAU on Wednesday at 6 ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...