Iron Arrow: The highest honor attainable at UM

UM is steeped in history and traditions. From the names of various buildings to the stories told by alumni and friends, the University’s past provides guidance and vision as we grow into the premier private university in the country. The oldest and most sacred of these traditions is Iron Arrow.

Iron Arrow is the highest honor that can be bestowed upon any individual – student, faculty, administrator, or alumni – at UM. Established as a top honor society for men by UM’s first president, Bowman Foster Ashe, the honor represents those who have given their very best in service to their alma mater.

Members are chosen based on five selection criteria: love of alma mater, character, leadership, scholarship and humility. Members are officially charged with maintaining the history and traditions of the University.

Members are chosen based on five selection criteria: love of alma mater, character, leadership, scholarship and humility.

One of the most unique aspects of the society is its relationship with the Seminole Indian Nation. As goes with the history of the development of South Florida and UM, the society was created to recognize the unique and lasting contributions that this group of Native Americans made on our University and community. Iron Arrow is an official clan of the Seminole Indian nation. Members wear traditional Seminole jackets, woven by Seminole women using small pieces of cloth.

The society “taps” members twice a year, once during Homecoming and once in the spring, in a daylong ceremony that is as exciting as it is awe-inspiring.

Iron Arrow also differs from other honor societies on campus in that it takes an active role in supporting many of the different initiatives sponsored by the University. Not only are members present at important sporting events and at our annual Courts of Honor, but they also support UM through both Iron Arrow and university-wide functions.

Protecting tradition and creating legacy lies in the heart of every Iron Arrow, and the beating of the drum will forever remain a symbol of the history and promise carried by Iron Arrow. I