Iron Arrow: The highest honor attainable at UM

UM is steeped in history and traditions. From the names of various buildings to the stories told by alumni and friends, the University’s past provides guidance and vision as we grow into the premier private university in the country. The oldest and most sacred of these traditions is Iron Arrow.

Iron Arrow is the highest honor that can be bestowed upon any individual – student, faculty, administrator, or alumni – at UM. Established as a top honor society for men by UM’s first president, Bowman Foster Ashe, the honor represents those who have given their very best in service to their alma mater.

Members are chosen based on five selection criteria: love of alma mater, character, leadership, scholarship and humility. Members are officially charged with maintaining the history and traditions of the University.

Members are chosen based on five selection criteria: love of alma mater, character, leadership, scholarship and humility.

One of the most unique aspects of the society is its relationship with the Seminole Indian Nation. As goes with the history of the development of South Florida and UM, the society was created to recognize the unique and lasting contributions that this group of Native Americans made on our University and community. Iron Arrow is an official clan of the Seminole Indian nation. Members wear traditional Seminole jackets, woven by Seminole women using small pieces of cloth.

The society “taps” members twice a year, once during Homecoming and once in the spring, in a daylong ceremony that is as exciting as it is awe-inspiring.

Iron Arrow also differs from other honor societies on campus in that it takes an active role in supporting many of the different initiatives sponsored by the University. Not only are members present at important sporting events and at our annual Courts of Honor, but they also support UM through both Iron Arrow and university-wide functions.

Protecting tradition and creating legacy lies in the heart of every Iron Arrow, and the beating of the drum will forever remain a symbol of the history and promise carried by Iron Arrow. I

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Mark Richt is sticking with the veteran. The Miami Hurricanes coach announced during the weekly Atla ...

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

For the second straight year, all of the Miami women's basketball teams will be televised and f ...

The University of Miami soccer team heads to the Tar Heel state for a pair of road matches beginning ...

Get to Know U is a series that introduces the newest members of the Miami Hurricanes track and field ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...