Hurricane Productions: Your guide to on-campus entertainment

With all that there is to do in the city of Miami, students sometimes feel lost in a maze of what to do-bars, clubs, restaurants, museums, neighborhoods-it all can be a bit overwhelming, especially to those students coming from a different area. Hurricane Productions is here to get U started with all that you need, providing you the best in campus entertainment.

Hurricane Productions is a student-funded, student-operated, campus entertainment programming board offering you the latest and best in cutting-edge music, blockbuster movies, legendary guest speakers and much more. Hurricane Productions always has something for every taste, and the best part about all of it…it’s totally free.

Each year, HP produces two blockbuster concerts, Hurricane Howl, the annual fall concert during Homecoming, and one concert in the spring. Past performers include Ludicrus, Third Eye Blind, Floetry, Styles P, Clipse and OutKast. But the music scene is not limited to radio-friendly bands. Patio Jams is a weekly live music concert series that features UM, local and national underground talents who perform on the University Center Patio each Thursday afternoon.

Want something a little more interactive or educational? HP brings to you excellent speakers and innovative cultural programs. Past lectures include John Singleton, Henry Rollings, Mo Rocca and Ronald Takaki. Students have the opportunity to both listen and interact with speakers as they speak on topics of politics, careers and entertainment. Miami is truly and international city and HP captures some of that international flair with its innovative cultural programs including Def Poetry Slam, Step Afrika and the Tibetan Monks.

The newest addition to Hurricane Productions is Quantum Entertainment, the first UM theatre and film production organization. Quantum produces two major shows each year; past shows include Grease, the Rocky Horror Picture Show and West Side Story. Students serve as actors, dancers, directors, stage crew and technical support in this entirely student-run production.

The Rathskeller Advisory Board provides entertainment at the University Rathskeller, the on-campus pub. RAB produces weekly happy hours and food and drink specials as well as Belly Bust Friday comedy. Other signature RAB events include Thirsty Thursdays and Freaky Fridays. And the Rat is the place to be when the ‘Canes are not at the Orange Bowl, as RAB brings you your official UM watch party, complete with free food and drink specials.

Want to get involved? Hurricane Productions is always looking for students to serve on any of its committees. Not only can you be involved in programming events; we also have many support positions in public relations and publicity, business management and logistics. Gain experience contacting agents, negotiating contracts, marketing events, coordinating logistics and producing shows. I

For more information call 305-284-4604 or visit our website www.um-hp.com

Romello Height already had a top five publicly revealed when the Miami Hurricanes finally stepped in ...

Mark Pope knows his freshman year with the Miami Hurricanes didn’t play out the way it was supposed ...

Fredrick Eaford was quick to make it clear the Miami Hurricanes were his dream team to commit to. Af ...

Linebacker might be the most important position for the Miami Hurricanes to recruit in the Class of ...

Issiah Walker Jr. won’t be at Paradise Camp on Saturday. Instead of attending the Miami Hurricanes’ ...

Evo Morales, first elected president of Bolivia in 2005, and could win an unprecedented fourth term ...

The University of Miami Black Alumni Society is hosting a number of Juneteenth events around the cou ...

The University of Miami Rosenstiel School’s Rescue a Reef program teams up with the NFL and others t ...

The Frost Chopin Festival and Academy at the University of Miami provides unparalleled experiences f ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Jackie Lippincott, Autumn Kramer and Meredith Costello were among the 61 student-athletes named to t ...

Renate Grimstad and Kristyna Frydlova of the University of Miami women's golf team were selecte ...

The Miami women's basketball team will face Indiana at the Watsco Center in the 2019 Big Ten/AC ...

The University of Miami volleyball program is set to host the Hurricane Invitational and nine ACC ho ...

Games will be contested July 3-14 in Naples, Italy. ...