GET AROUND: Miami Transit allows for easy access to all areas

As part of a bustling city, public transportation abounds both inside and outside of UM’s campus. For students who have the liberty of having a car, parking lots are located next to most of the major buildings, while the three parking garages are located on the edge of the eastside of campus. For days when it’s just too hot or the walk is just too long, students can catch the Hurry ‘Cane Shuttle that runs at five minute intervals on class days and 10 to 15 minute intervals on the weekends. The Hurry ‘Cane also travels to the nearby Publix and Sunset Shops on Friday and Saturday evenings from 8 p.m. to 2 a.m. to allow students the ability to enjoy pleasurable shopping without the stress of having to walk or encounter traffic. For those who like to go venture farther off campus, the Ibis Ride, which runs from 8 p.m. to 3:30 a.m. on Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights, shuttles students back and forth to Coconut Grove, the favored local hangout for students on the weekends.

Off campus, taxis are the most favored mode of transport and with the taxi number consisting of only one number – 444-4444 – it’s easy to remember. However, for only $1.50, the Metrorail, located across Ponce De Leon Boulevard, will take passengers from South Miami all the way to North Miami Beach, making stops at the Dadeland Mall, Dowtown Miami, and just two blocks from the Orange Bowl. For a more relaxing trip, the Coral Gables trolley takes patrons around Miracle Mile and Ponce De Leon free of charge, stopping at some of the greatest shopping and eateries around. Started only last November, the trolley has been a great success and allows passengers to indulge in how founder George Merrick truly wanted the city of Coral Gables to appear. All three routes combined run from about 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. and run in north/south and east/west. I

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The Miami women's tennis team turned in a strong showing Saturday at the ITA Southeast Regional ...

On the first day of Main Draw action at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Presented by Oracle ...

The University of Miami soccer team closes out action in the Tar Heel state with a match against thi ...

The Miami women's tennis team opened play Friday at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Pr ...

The Miami Hurricanes fell in their tri-meet with Georgia Tech and Notre Dame Saturday afternoon, dro ...