‘Canes have favorable schedule, could lead to title run

There is no valid reason why the football team should not contend for the national title this season.

The 2004 Miami Hurricanes may not be as good as last year’s team on paper, but they have a favorable schedule. The two toughest games on Miami’s schedule are Florida State and Virginia Tech, and both of those games will be played in the Orange Bowl. Their only tough road game will be in Raleigh, N.C., in October when the Hurricanes battle the N.C. State Wolfpack.

With an easy schedule, there is no reason why this team should not be a contender for the national title game. Brock Berlin returns for his second year as the starting quarterback. While Berlin still has much to prove, he has a year of experience under his belt, and that should help him entering this season.

Overall, the Hurricanes lost much talent, but as is the norm in South Florida, they will reshuffle the deck and be poised to make another title run this season.

The running back situation is perhaps the most intriguing, with Frank Gore trying to battle back from another injury and Tyrone Moss battling to win the starting job. This means that Miami has a good backfield that is capable of making big plays.

The receivers are all a year older, which is good news for Ryan Moore, Darnell Jenkins, Roscoe Parrish, and Kevin Everett. Greg Olsen is a promising young tight end that should get some playing time. The Hurricanes’ offense should definitely be one of the nation’s best units, but it will all come down to Berlin and his ability to execute and make plays.

Defensively, the Hurricanes lost Vince Wilfork, D.J. Williams, Jonathan Vilma, Al Marshall, Mo Sikes, Darrell McClover, and Sean Taylor. However, the defense is not in bad shape for next season.

On the line, Baraka Atkins, who could become one of the best pass rushers in the country, will lead the Hurricanes. Santonio Thomas, Javon Nanton, Orien Harris and Thomas Carroll will play a big role as well. The defensive line will definitely miss Wilfork, but it should be able to absorb the blow.

The biggest area of concern is the linebacker spot. The Hurricanes lost three linebackers to the NFL draft, including Vilma and Williams, their best two players at the position. If Willie Williams plays, he might be able to provide depth and give the Hurricanes a solid player, but they are lacking a lot of experience here. They have Rocky McIntosh, who has played some. They also have Leon Williams, who is a senior, but has not played much in college. Other than that, they lack experience and could be the weak point of the Hurricane defense.

Despite losing Taylor and Sikes, the secondary is in good shape for this season because of the return of Antrel Rolle. Rolle, who decided to stay for his senior year, gives the Hurricanes arguably the best cornerback in the nation. Along with Rolle, the ‘Canes have Kelly Jennings and Glenn Sharpe, who have big game experience. The safeties are young, but they are very talented, as Brandon Meriweather got to play a lot last season and strong safety Willie Cooper led the defense with eight tackles during spring practice.

Overall, the Hurricanes lost much talent, but as is the norm in South Florida, they will reshuffle the deck and be poised to make another title run this season. If they beat Florida State in the first game of the season, they have a schedule that is favorable for them running the table. How sweet would it be for the first year in the ACC to result in a conference title and perhaps a national championship? I

At 7:27 p.m Tuesday, University of Miami football coach Manny Diaz tweeted a GIF of a swirling Hurri ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ As Miami awaits decisions from its potential 2019 qua ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday night: ▪ FIU has decided that its Nov. 23 football game agains ...

Dewan Hernandez hit another NCAA roadblock on Monday, but the University of Miami forward will take ...

Jeff Thomas will be joining the Illinois Fighting Illini after all. After a few days of discussion a ...

Grantees aim to eliminate opportunity gaps and biases in different realms and improve brain injury t ...

The film launches the 2019 film series for the UM Libraries Cuban Heritage Collection. ...

Here’s a go-to list of dates you should keep an eye on throughout the semester, along with some tidb ...

For more than 77 years, UM Hillel has provided a vibrant and diverse “home-away-from-home” that is f ...

University of Miami experts weigh in on the largest increase in carbon emissions in eight years. ...

The University of Miami football program has hired Dan Enos as its offensive coordinator and quarter ...

University of Miami head women's volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara announced Monda ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...

After a weekend bye, the Miami women's basketball team resumes action Thursday evening at 7 p.m ...

Pictures from the No. 17 Miami women's tennis team's season-opening action in the Miami Sp ...