Berlin ready for upcoming season

After last season’s back-to-back losses to Virginia Tech and Tennessee that broke the Hurricanes’ 34-game regular season win streak and kept the ‘Canes out of the Sugar Bowl, quarterback Brock Berlin experienced fan-wrath firsthand.

Despite what was in some cases extremely personal criticism, Berlin said that he has been able to keep his focus.

“For me, I just don’t listen to any of that stuff,” he said. “I know what type of player I am and what I can do and I just go out there and perform.”

His performance last season led to speculation that his job as starting quarterback was in jeopardy. Berlin said he remained positive that he would ultimately be retained as starter.

“In my mind I definitely felt like I was going to be the starter,” he said. “I really feel like I’ve learned a lot from last year and I’m excited about this year.”

Berlin feels pressure to constantly prove himself, but adds that this helps keep him focused on what he’s out there to do.

“I want to come out and perform well at every practice and learn from things,” he said. “All I can do is give it my best and go from there.”

For Berlin, faith in God is an important part of his life that strengthens his ability to handle the tough times he encountered last season. He also feels his faith plays a central role in game preparation and his outlook as leader of the team.

“My whole life revolves around my faith in God and family,” said Berlin. “I lean hard on that and ask the Lord to help me get through things.”

Having his abilities doubted is nothing new to Berlin. Almost from the beginning of his time as a member of the Hurricanes, people have been critical of him. For a brief time that criticism was put to rest by the ‘Canes’ come-from-behind win over the Florida Gators last September.

Some have said that the victory over FSU in the FedEx Orange Bowl last January put to rest similar doubts following last season’s losses. Berlin doesn’t spend any time pondering how each victory is viewed, but he remains focused on being the best player he can be.

“We won the game and that’s all that matters,” he said. “I’m out here to play and play to win – that’s what we do.”

Berlin has sometimes found Ken Dorsey to be a very tough act to follow.

“You’re always going to be compared to the previous guy, that’s the way the ball bounces,” he said. “He’s a great guy and I learned a lot from him.”

Berlin added that Dorsey contacted him during the low point of last season to try to give him friendly support.

“He called and we talked over some things,” he said. “He’s been a big help for me.”

Berlin has kept a positive, focused attitude in anticipation of the 2004 season.

“We’re going to go out there and give it 100 percent and win,” he said. “Our main goal is to win every game and win a national championship and that’s what we’re aiming to do.” I

It appears that at least one LSU receiver won’t be available at the University of Miami football ope ...

After the Miami Hurricanes football team spent part of its practice on Monday in a torrential downpo ...

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

They are two big bodies with experience, but new to the University of Miami. And the Miami Hurricane ...

Freshman quarterback Jarren Williams, who returned to practice Wednesday after missing most of Tuesd ...

Intergroup Dialogue, soon to be offered as a course, fosters a sense of belonging, an appreciation f ...

Aretha Franklin and her music defined “what is soul” to generations of music lovers. ...

The University of Miami kicked into high gear to welcome thousands of new students and ensure move-i ...

UM President Julio Frenk welcomes first-year and transfer students to UM in signature ’Cane Kickoff ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team won its exhibition match over FIU, 3-0, Saturday at the Knig ...

Coming off a road win in its season opener, the University of Miami soccer team will welcome crossto ...

In head coach Sarah Barnes' debut at the helm, the University of Miami soccer team won its seas ...

The Hurricanes practiced in the Carol Soffer Indoor Practice Facility for the first time ever on Fri ...

Malik Rosier, Travis Homer and Ahmmon Richards are key returning playmakers, but they are just the b ...