Architecture students spend an intensive semester abroad in Rome

Arch of Titus. San Ambrogio. Etruscan Necropolis. Hadrian’s Villa. To any artist, historian, traveler or wonderer, these names are among the many renowned structures that capture the magic enmeshed in Rome.

The School of Architecture, founded in 1991, transformed these textbook images into three-dimensional tools of study by sponsoring fall and spring semester study abroad programs in Rome, Italy.

For one semester, a select group of students and faculty members have the opportunity to undergo an intensive experience in design, theory, and the history of architecture through design studio and seminar courses, complemented by site visits and notable readings and lectures.

Course subjects include: Design in the Historical Context, Theory of Urban Form, Ancient, Renaissance, Baroque and Modern Architectural History, Drawing as a Means of Architectural Knowledge, and the History of Gardens.

The curriculum for each semester includes one design studio and three seminar courses, which total 15 credits.

The School of Architecture has ensured that this unique experience exploits all of its many opportunities with the exploration of surrounding areas. Excursions are taken to Tuscany, the Veneto, Umbria, Lazio and Sicily.

In addition to this, there is a two-week trip to other European cities such as Barcelona, Spain, and Paris, France.

The program is open to students entering their fourth and fifth years.

The director of the program is Jose Gelabert-Navia and the coordinator is Carmen Guerrero. Faculty members include Sonia Chao, David Fix, Gary Greenan, Carmen Guerrero, Jean-Francois Lejeune, Nicholas Patricios, and Tom Spain.

>> For more information about this program, visit www.arc.miami.edu.

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

Ten takeaways from UM’s 31-17 win against FIU on Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium: ▪ Credit Mark Richt ...

As the Miami Hurricanes started their third series against the FIU Panthers on Saturday afternoon, t ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is headed to the championship of one th ...

The Miami women's tennis team posted a 5-2 mark in official matches on the second day of the Mi ...

Freshman Riley Howard continued her incredible start as a Canes cross country runner setting another ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to host Virginia Tech Sunday at noon at Cobb Stadium. ...