A Letter from Your Student Government President

To the Class of 2008:

On behalf of myself and Student Government, I would like to welcome you to the University of Miami. You could not be coming at a more exciting time in our University’s history. With the presidential debate in September and the countless speakers visiting throughout the semester, I cannot imagine a better place to be.

It’s hard to believe that my time at the University is almost over, but now a new chapter is opening for all of you. You will meet people, participate in events, and obtain knowledge that will mold you into the adults that you are destined to become.

As a freshman, I was certainly nervous about my new surroundings, but I know how quickly UM will become your second home, as it did mine. I encourage you to walk through the dorms and meet as many people as you can possibly find. Another great way to become acquainted with the University is by attending the Orientation Programs. Your orientation assistants are some of the most dedicated students on campus and they are here to make sure that your transition into college life is smooth and enjoyable.

Finally, getting involved is one of the best ways to experience all that our University has to offer. There are over 200 organizations on campus and all of them are here to enable you to grow as a person. You will meet individuals and participate in events that you may not otherwise have the opportunity to experience. Greek Life is another great way to build relationships and experience campus life, so I strongly recommend that if you have the slightest desire to go Greek, then rush.

You have made such a great decision by choosing to come to the University of Miami. Have fun with everything you do and I challenge you to experience everything UM can offer.

If you have any questions, please e-mail me at v.aloupis@umiami.edu or call the Student Government office at 305-284-3082. Student Government is here to serve all of you and our door is always open. Have a wonderful summer and I look forward to meeting each of you at Orientation. Go Canes!!!

Sincerely,

Vance Aloupis

President, Student Government

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

If there was one freshman the Miami Hurricanes knew would have to help entering the season, Brevin J ...

Not only has Gerald Willis been one of the best stories of the Miami Hurricanes’ season, he has also ...

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that global pressures are makin ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

U.S. Congresswoman and Chairman Emerita of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs Ileana Ros-Lehtine ...

Nearly 400 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service da ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...