Students cram and camp out at Richter

It is 6 p.m. on a Friday afternoon, and the Richter Library is surprisingly populated. Students are scattered around typing furiously at computers, highlighting their textbooks at worktables, going over notes in a quiet corner at the back of the first floor or taking naps in the chairs underneath the stairs.

There is only one explanation for why students are acting so strangely instead of getting ready to party for the weekend: final exams.

“I’ve been sleeping four hours a night. I’m counting down the days till it’s over,” Kristi Wong, junior, said. “I have a 10-page paper and a three-page paper due and two finals in one day within an hour of each other – that’s why I’m freaking out. I think I speak for many when I say: Help. Please. Anyone?”

The Princeton Review recently conducted a study surveying 1,000 students from more than 150 colleges on how they survive finals week. Take notes; this could be the only chance you’ll get to copy someone else’s answers and get away with it.

Fifty percent of students claimed they use coffee and tea to keep them up all night. About 46 percent chose soft drinks when they were pulling all-nighters, and 16 percent used energy drinks, such as Red Bull, to keep them going – though the vodka isn’t recommended until after exams.

UM students have other tactics as well.

“Wake-up, start studying, wake-up, start studying, call in sick at work – literally,” said Alvaro Diaz, junior, suggesting ways to get through the hectic time.

“I have a 10-page paper and a three-page paper due and two finals in one day. . . Help. anyone. Please? “-KRISTI WONG, Junior

In an effort to help students get more study time, the Richter Library will be open 24 hours a day from now through May 13. To kick off these few weeks, Student Government [SG] and the Honor Council will be giving away coffee, cookies and pencils at the entrance of the library this Sunday at 6 p.m.

“The week before finals is when students need to study the most, since they have projects, papers and even exams that professors give before exam time,” Vance Aloupis, SG president, said.

This is the first year that the library will be open 24 hours a day before the actual finals week, which also means that students will be sleeping less and less at home and more and more at the library.

“During finals, people are very restless and they start doing funny things, especially during the night shifts,” Eduardo Abella, assistant librarian at Richter Library, said. “They start bringing in food, coming in pajamas and wanting to feel at home.”

Funny things? Restlessness? Now what could possibly be the cause of that?

Natalia Maldonado can be reached at n.maldonado@umiami.edu.

The losses keep coming for Miami Hurricanes football and Mark Richt. And this feels like the biggest ...

The University of Miami is on the verge of losing the architect of one of the nation’s best defenses ...

The postseason acknowledgments continue to roll in for Gerald Willis. The Miami Hurricanes defensive ...

It is recruiting season in college football, and the Miami Hurricanes have one particular commitment ...

The early signing period is right around the corner and the Miami Hurricanes have plenty of work to ...

UM public relations students unveiled their plans to reposition March for Our Lives to attract colle ...

The answer to that question may impact what happens to the European Union. ...

Most UM Debate Team members devote 10 to 15 hours of preparation for each tournament. ...

National Geographic connects with the University of Miami to empower the next generation of storytel ...

Following national recognition for its French production of Cinderella, the Frost Opera Theater is d ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...

Gerald Willis III added to his postseason awards list, picking up second-team All-America honors fro ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...

After a six-day layoff, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team will be back in action Sund ...