Rainbow in the clouds Maya Angelou shares life lessons at first Graduate Convocation

Blending poetry with song, Maya Angelou -poet, educator, historian, best-selling author, actress, playwright, civil-rights activist, producer and director – gave graduating seniors some words of wisdom during the first-ever Graduate Convocation. Angelou painted the image of rainbows in the clouds – the people who quietly influence our lives, causing a domino effect of good deeds and success – for the audience with her rhythmic words and life experiences, and a little bit of humor.

“If you’re serious, you can’t make a difference,” Angelou says.

It didn’t matter whether people in the audience were familiar with Angelou’s work. She mesmerized everyone who listened.

Angelou said her grandmother was one of the brightest rainbows in her life, always telling Angelou she was meant to inspire.

“My ‘momma,’ with her fifth-grade education, told me I’d be a teacher one day,” Angelou said. “And look at me now.”

Angelou has earned 56 honorary doctorate degrees and was awarded a lifetime membership to the National Women’s Hall of Fame in 2002. She has also authored 12 best-selling books, including I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings.

“She takes the young generation back to the old school and comes right back into the present,” says Dinah Berry, events coordinator at the UM RSMAS campus. “She’s right up there with Oprah Winfrey and other inspirational women of our time.”

Another of Angelou’s rainbows: Uncle Willy, who affected her and many others, including the first black mayor of Little Rock, Ark. According to Angelou, Uncle Willy gave them all a chance to succeed and taught them their “times-tables.” Angelou even wrote a song for Roberta Flack about her Uncle Willy.

“She takes the young generation back to the old school…

She’s right up there with Oprah Winfrey and other inspirational women of our time.” -Dinah berry, RSMAS event coordinator

Angelou traveled to Miami all the way from Winston-Salem, N.C., on a bus; she said she stopped flying about seven years ago because of the craziness she faced at airports.

“People would poke me and pull on my clothes. They would give me their babies,” she said. “I came all the way down here on a bus, so when I say I’m happy to be here, I mean it.”

One of Angelou’s proudest moments: being invited to write and deliver a poem at the UN’s 50th anniversary.

“I remember thinking as a little girl in 1945 that if I wasn’t this, and I wasn’t that, I could go into the UN building,” Angelou says. “And there I was, preparing a poem to read in that very building.”

She also recalled a time when a woman came up to her and thanked her for saving her daughter’s life, giving her a letter written by her daughter, vowing to never attempt suicide again. Angelou took the letter home, opened it and cried at the contents – aside from the vow, it described Angelou’s facial features as monstrous and frightening.

“It broke my heart, it was so full of racism and ignorance,” Angelou says. “I almost thought about killing myself just like that girl.”

Angelou left the audience – especially graduating seniors – with words that will echo in their hearts as they pick up their diplomas and move off into whatever awaits.

“You are all the dreamers of UM who dare to keep a rainbow in the clouds.”

Jorge Arauz can be contacted at j.arauz@umiami.edu

At their best, they are UM’s most dynamic players on each side of the ball. But the Ahmmon Richards ...

A day after practicing in the Carol Soffer Football Indoor Practice Facility for the first time in s ...

It appears that at least one LSU receiver won’t be available at the University of Miami football ope ...

After the Miami Hurricanes football team spent part of its practice on Monday in a torrential downpo ...

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

Intergroup Dialogue, soon to be offered as a course, fosters a sense of belonging, an appreciation f ...

Aretha Franklin and her music defined “what is soul” to generations of music lovers. ...

The University of Miami kicked into high gear to welcome thousands of new students and ensure move-i ...

UM President Julio Frenk welcomes first-year and transfer students to UM in signature ’Cane Kickoff ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team won its exhibition match over FIU, 3-0, Saturday at the Knig ...

Coming off a road win in its season opener, the University of Miami soccer team will welcome crossto ...

In head coach Sarah Barnes' debut at the helm, the University of Miami soccer team won its seas ...

The Hurricanes practiced in the Carol Soffer Indoor Practice Facility for the first time ever on Fri ...

Malik Rosier, Travis Homer and Ahmmon Richards are key returning playmakers, but they are just the b ...