News Briefs

UMTV wins eight state Associated Press awards

The Florida Associated Press Broadcasters announced the winners of its 2004 College Broadcasting Awards. UMTV’s NewsVision took five first place television awards, while two went to UF and one to UCF. NewsVision also took three second place awards. Congratulations!

The winners:
Best Spot News: First Place, Lena Fernandez
“Gap Protest”
Best Hard News Feature: First Place, Stephen Webster
“Everglades”
Best Short Serious Feature: First Place, Stephen Webster
“Touch Therapy”
Best Sports Story: First Place, Jason Kennedy
“Brock Berlin”
Best Newscast: First Place, Stephen Webster
NewsVision
Best Short Light Feature: Second Place, Catherine Chubb
“Roommates”
Best Short Serious Feature: Second Place,
Mike McCormick for “Web Cams”
Best Hard News Feature: Second Place, Erin Resnick f “Turtles”

Homeless NYU student granted free dorm room
According to New York University [NYU] officials, a college student who has spent the last eight months sleeping in a library basement because he couldn’t afford housing has been given a free dorm room. Steve Stanzak, sophomore, said that he was unable to pay the $1,000 housing deposit and resorted to taking up residence in the sub-basement of the Bobst Library at the beginning of the academic year. He also slept on library chairs and carried a laptop computer, books and clothes in his backpack. Stanzak kept an online journal, www.homelessatnyu.com, where he documented all his experiences. It was through this journal that NYU officials discovered his predicament and relocated him to a free dorm room last Tuesday. Stanzak, who referred to himself as “Bobst Boy” on his website, became somewhat of a campus celebrity among the thousands of students who read about his daily escapades. According to Stanzak, he washed in the library’s bathroom and took showers at the apartments and dorm rooms of friends. He works four jobs and has obtained several student loans but did not receive any aid from his family and only has enough money to pay his tuition of about $31,000 a year for full-time undergraduates.

Attention all seniors! Don’t forget to order your free yearbooks online at www.miami.edu/ibis. The deadline is June 1. After the deadline there will be a $5 shipping fee.

Don’t forget! Today is the last day to take the LibQual survey! Go online to http://survey.libqual.org/index.cfm?ID=985974 and let Richter Library know what you think about the quality of their services.

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Mark Richt is sticking with the veteran. The Miami Hurricanes coach announced during the weekly Atla ...

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

For the second straight year, all of the Miami women's basketball teams will be televised and f ...

The University of Miami soccer team heads to the Tar Heel state for a pair of road matches beginning ...

Get to Know U is a series that introduces the newest members of the Miami Hurricanes track and field ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...