LETTER TO THE EDITOR

To the Editor:

In response to a recent letter to the editor (The Hurricane, April 27) where the outgoing Chairman of the College Republicans (CRs) claimed it was “ridiculous” to think the College Democrats (Dems) have in any way surpassed the CRs in programming this past year, I have a few things I’d like to say.
First, on the subject that the Dems got more recognition for the John Kerry rally than we deserved, well, I take that as a personal insult. Members from the Dems and I didn’t bust our asses for close to a week, missing classes to attend countless planning meetings; running around campus hanging up flyers; not sleeping because we were replying to e-mails and updating our website; running around Coral Gables, Coconut Grove and South Beach handing out flyers; trying to follow a thousand orders from the Kerry Campaign and the Secret Service, and most importantly, I didn’t put all my energy, sweat and passion into making sure the introduction I gave was fit for Sen. Kerry and that it let the whole country know that UM is the greatest school this side of the Atlantic, to have you tell me that I, or anybody else that helped make that event the resounding success it was, didn’t deserve that recognition.
Second, to suggest we’ve been dormant for the entire year is, not surprisingly, “ridiculous.” Don’t forget about the many guest speakers we’ve had: Jimmy Morales, candidate for mayor of Miami-Dade County; Sam Sheldon and Dave Patlak, democratic candidates for the 18th District Congressional seat; Peter Deutsch, democratic candidate for U.S. Senate seat; representatives from the Edwards, Kerry, Clark and Dean campaigns throughout the primaries, and, of course, John Kerry himself, after he sealed the democratic nomination for President.
And finally, don’t forget that it wasn’t the Dems who criticized your organization, but one of your fellow Republicans. So, don’t attack us because of your internal issues.

Sincerely,

Luke A. Kosar
President, University of Miami
College Democrats

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

The No. 21 University of Miami and FIU have met twice in football. But, oh, what a history they have ...

When University of Miami star safety Jaquan Johnson, thought by many to be the best player on the te ...

University of Miami backup tailback DeeJay Dallas, who had his first career 100-yard rushing game Sa ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...

The University of Miami women's golf team concluded Sunday with a sixth-place finish at the 35t ...

The University of Miami golf team is in sixth after the first two rounds of play at the 35th annual ...