Letter to the Editor 2

To the Editor:

I was extremely surprised and disappointed to read the editorial in Tuesday’s paper (The Hurricane, April 27) discussing the possible closing of the Butler Volunteer Services Center.
Unfortunately, no one on the editorial staff ever called to verify the accuracy of the rumor. If they had, we would have unequivocally pledged complete support for the Volunteer Services Center. In fact, the closing of the Volunteer Services Center has never even been discussed in any venue.
As you duly noted, the Volunteer Services Center contributes much to the University and surrounding community each day. The Volunteer Services Center makes a difference in many lives and the University has no intention of changing its mission, staffing, or space.
Too bad The Hurricane didn’t do its homework.

Sincerely,

Patricia A. Whitely
Vice President for Student Affairs

Editor’s Note: The Hurricane attempted on several occasions to contact administrators to get their perspective on this topic. Due to time constraints, we were unable to do so before press time.

After the Miami Hurricanes football team spent part of its practice on Monday in a torrential downpo ...

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

They are two big bodies with experience, but new to the University of Miami. And the Miami Hurricane ...

Freshman quarterback Jarren Williams, who returned to practice Wednesday after missing most of Tuesd ...

Corey Gaynor is working hard to solidify his spot as backup center to UM senior standout Tyler Gauth ...

Intergroup Dialogue, soon to be offered as a course, fosters a sense of belonging, an appreciation f ...

Aretha Franklin and her music defined “what is soul” to generations of music lovers. ...

The University of Miami kicked into high gear to welcome thousands of new students and ensure move-i ...

UM President Julio Frenk welcomes first-year and transfer students to UM in signature ’Cane Kickoff ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

In head coach Sarah Barnes' debut at the helm, the University of Miami soccer team won its seas ...

The Hurricanes practiced in the Carol Soffer Indoor Practice Facility for the first time ever on Fri ...

Malik Rosier, Travis Homer and Ahmmon Richards are key returning playmakers, but they are just the b ...

The University of Miami soccer team will travel to Boca Raton, Fla., Friday night as the team kicks ...

The University of Miami's volleyball team returns to the Knight Sports Complex on Saturday at 3 ...