10 Top Moments

10

Volleyball pulls off five-set win over Syracuse
The University of Miami volleyball team needed five sets but pulled out the win over Syracuse, 30-27, 31-29, 27-30, 27-30, 15-10, at the Women’s Building on the campus of Syracuse University Nov. 7. Leyre Santaella Sante led the Hurricanes with 21 kills, while hitting .260 for the match. The 21 kills for Santaella Sante was a career-best. Karla Johnson recorded a career-high 10 blocks, while adding 13 kills. Santaella Sante pounded out four kills to lead Miami to a 15-10 fifth-set win, while Valeria Tipiana added two kills. The Hurricanes hit .615 as a team in the fifth set. The Hurricanes ended up finishing with a 22-9 record.

9

Six Hurricanes selected in first round of NFL Draft, a new record
Last Saturday the Miami football program reached yet another milestone when six Hurricanes were drafted in the first round of the NFL Draft, breaking their own record of five (in 2002). Sean Taylor was the first ‘Cane taken at No. 5 by the Washington Redskins, immediately followed by Kellen Winslow at No. 6 to the Cleveland Browns. Jon Vilma was chosen with the 12th pick by the New York Jets, and his line backing partner-in-crime D.J. Williams went 17th to the Denver Broncos. The Miami Dolphins traded up to the 19th spot to select Vernon Carey, and Vince Wilfork was taken by the defending Super Bowl champion New England Patriots with the 21st pick. Darrell McClover, Carlos Joseph, and Al Marshall were selected in the later rounds to give the Hurricanes nine draftees.

8

Women’s basketball upsets No. 20 Boston College in Chestnut Hill
The women’s basketball team earned its most impressive victory Jan. 10 over then-No. 20 Boston College by a score of 70-66. Yalonda McCormick scored 14 of her 23 points in the final six minutes to propel the Hurricanes to the win. Tamara James added 11 points, and Shaquana Wilkins and Hutashi Wilson each had 10 for the Hurricanes, who were coming off their first loss of the season after opening with 12 straight wins. The ‘Canes ended up losing in the first round of the NCAA Tournament to Maryland, but their season was still considered by most to be a success.

7

Starks named Big East’s top diver
Freshman Derek Starks was tabbed the Big East’s Most Outstanding Diver after taking his second conference title at the final day of the Big East Swimming and Diving Championships in Syracuse, N.Y.
Starks turned in a score of 553.15, nearly 200 points ahead of Pittsburgh’s Devin Aikins, to take first place in the men’s platform finals Sunday. The freshman won the three-meter springboard in Friday’s finals.
Starks’ title of Most Outstanding Diver prolongs UM’s men’s diving team’s dominance in the Big East as the Hurricanes have taken the honor every year since 1992.

6

Williams posts fastest times in United States
Junior Lauryn Williams won the 100-meters and 200-meters posting the fastest time by an American this season in both events to highlight the Miami Gatorade Track and Field Invitational in Coral Gables, Fla.
Williams, who won gold medals in the 100-meters and 4×100-meter relay at last summer’s Pan Am Games, posted an American and collegiate best mark of 11.01 seconds to run away with the victory in the 100-meters.
She came back an hour later to cruise to an easy win in the 200-meters with a time of 22.46 seconds. Her 200-meter time was also an American and Collegiate best. In addition, both her winning times were school, stadium, and meet records.

5

Winslow temporarily saves season with miraculous catch
Facing a fourth-and-13 situation from his own 25 trailing 20-19 to West Virginia, Kellen Winslow leaped over a defender to haul in a high Brock Berlin pass and keep the Hurricanes’ drive, and national title hopes, alive. Jon Peattie converted his fifth field goal of the game with 11 seconds left to help the ‘Canes escape with a victory over the Mountaineers.
Winslow finished the game with 10 catches for 104 yards and solidified his place as the best tight end in the country.

4

Baseball team beats Tennessee with back-to-back homers
Paco Figueroa and Joey Hooft hit back-to-back home runs in the ninth inning to shock the Tennessee Volunteers 8-7 on Feb. 20 at Mark Light Field. Cesar Carrillo earned his first career win for the Hurricanes in relief.
The ‘Canes entered the ninth trailing 7-6 after surrendering the lead in the eighth, giving up three runs and two hits. After Jon Jay grounded out to start the inning, Figueroa went deep to right field and Hooft ended the game with a blast to left-center.
Will there be more memorable moments for the baseball team in Omaha? We will have to wait and see how the rest of the season plays out.

3

Women’s soccer notches biggest win in program history
The women’s soccer team earned a marquee win for its program Sept. 26 when the Hurricanes knocked off then-No. 10 Connecticut 3-1 in the first Big East game of the season at Cobb Stadium.
The win marked the first time the Hurricanes beat UConn and upset a Top 10 opponent. They improved to 5-0 in Big East openers.
Sophomore Lindsey Yach scored the first two goals for Miami and assisted with the third goal.

2

Payton, Peattie lead Hurricanes past Seminoles in Orange Bowl
This was typical Florida State-Miami. A close game and a missed kick.
No wonder the Seminoles didn’t want the rematch.
Jarrett Payton ran for 131 yards, Jon Peattie kicked three field goals and Miami shut out Florida State in the second half to give the Hurricanes a 16-14 win in the Orange Bowl on Thursday night.
It was No. 10 Miami’s fifth consecutive victory in the heated series – its longest winning streak since 1957. No. 9 Florida State lost consecutive bowl games for the first time since the 1979 and 1980 seasons.
Like several other memorable games in this storied rivalry, the outcome was decided by a kicker.
Not only did Peattie hit a career-long 51-yarder to give the Hurricanes the lead in the third quarter, but Florida State’s Xavier Beitia missed a 39-yarder with 5:30 to play.
And yes, it was wide right.

1

Berlin rallies Hurricanes past Gators
Brock Berlin enjoyed his finest hour as a Hurricane last Sept. 6 when he rallied his team from a 23-point deficit to demoralize the Florida Gators 38-33. Berlin, who was a Gator for two years before transferring to Miami last year, threw for 340 yards to overcome two costly interceptions and a lost fumble that helped create the deficit.
Florida had the ball with 1:37 left and a chance to win the game, but Al Marshall picked off Chris Leak’s pass attempt to preserve a victory for the then-No. 2 Hurricanes.