We should make an example out of Jayson Williams

There is much ado recently about athletes who beat their wives, assault children, smoke crack and kill people. I think that, just for fun, we ought to make an example out of one of these athletes. We should, because the media has already made an example of a bitter homemaker in the name of Martha Stewart. So since we cannot prosecute O.J. Simpson or the hooker-screwing and crack-inhaling Ken Caminiti, I think we should go after Jayson Williams.

If you already don’t know, Williams was a basketball pseudo-superstar for the New Jersey Nets. A couple of years ago, he committed a flagrant foul by making an uncontested shot point-blank at a limo driver. The shot cost no money, so it was a free throw. Because of this foul trouble, Williams will have to learn how to rebound from his mistake by signing multi-million-dollar lawyers to long-term contracts. The lawyers will assist Williams, as they will be able to block all the shots from the prosecution. And finally, he will be able to steal the verdict and make the civil-suit playoffs, where he will go out in the first round.

Now, you know that the following paragraph is going to be true. Williams will be able to go out as a free man who will be in debt to the family of the limo driver after the civil suit. This will be yet another example of an athlete being able to get away with whatever he chooses. Why does this happen?

I can understand DUIs and certain kinds of assaults, because these athletes are animals. Their job description requires them to be reckless and almost above the law. They’re superstars who rock the world. And their legal problems are considered to be our entertainment. But killing an innocent victim because of too much scotch is egregious. Whether or not the lawyers can weasel Williams out of foul trouble, I think he should be an example. I have two reasons for this.

First, the gun couldn’t go off by itself like the defense claimed. In fact, many witnesses have already claimed that Williams fired the shot. Jay-Dog is guilty and needs to be locked up, as he will be able to improve the basketball prison games.

Second, the masses will always feel resentful about rich people getting away with everything. If you put an athlete who was not that famous into prison, then everyone will be happy. You won’t hear Bill O’Reilly complaining, and the people on the Left could not say anything because they know he’s guilty.

And this isn’t racist, because we already made an example of a white, upper class, perky homemaker who is known for her role as being a good housewife. Stewart makes cookies, cleans the house, picks her kids up from school, makes little furniture and ornaments and screws people out of millions of dollars. She’s just like any other trophy wife who marries a rich businessman.

Seth Bleicher can be contacted at s.bleicher@umiami.edu.

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

The No. 21 University of Miami and FIU have met twice in football. But, oh, what a history they have ...

When University of Miami star safety Jaquan Johnson, thought by many to be the best player on the te ...

University of Miami backup tailback DeeJay Dallas, who had his first career 100-yard rushing game Sa ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...

The University of Miami women's golf team concluded Sunday with a sixth-place finish at the 35t ...

The University of Miami golf team is in sixth after the first two rounds of play at the 35th annual ...