SG debates parking prices & lots

Alas, we have reached the last Student Government [SG] column of the semester.

At the last meeting I attended, Chuck McConnell, director of Parking and Transportation, updated SG on parking issues including the $20-$25 increase of resident and commuter parking pass prices to occur in the fall. Discount permits will remain unchanged to encourage garage usage.

There was also debate over the parking lot in front of Mahoney Residential College, which may be given over to commuters.

There is an ad hoc committee on this issue chaired by Mahoney Senators Mike Tenen and Chris Vasquez. Contact information for both of them is provided below.

Mary Sapp, assistant vice president of Planning and Institutional Research, spoke at the meeting to demonstrate MyUM – the new integrated web system for UM students.

Last semester, SG recommended that the administration place anti-slip grips on the outdoor stairs of the Cox science building because during rainy periods the steps became a hazard.

It was only recently – after a UM student slipped on those very steps and broke her arm – that the grips were implemented.

The moral of this story is that SG is run by students, so it often addresses the problems that face students every day of which the University administration may not be aware.

Increased awareness of SG, coupled with their new website, should keep them from being forgotten in the minds of students.

Mike Tenen can be reached at m.tenen@umiami.edu; Chris Vasquez at c.vasquez1@umiami.edu.

For more information visit the University of Miami SG website at www.miami.edu/sg.

Amy S. Lawrence can be contacted at aslawrence@umiami.edu.

CABINET CHAIRS

The new (SG) Cabinet Members:

Academic Affairs Chair- Ben Everard

Community Affairs Chair- Christie Asencio

University Affairs Chair- Joie Zambito

Auxiliary Committees Chair- Jud Dry

Cabinet-Senate Liaison- Brandase Witherspoon

Cabinet Secretary- Kayla Shoemaker

SENATE COMMITTEE CHAIRS

The new (SG) Senate Committee

Chairpersons:

Academic Affairs- Mike Levine

Budgetary Review- Mike Ershowsky

Public Relations- Gus Rearte

University Affairs- Billy Bludgus and Laura

Turano

The Gino DiMare era for the Miami Hurricanes couldn’t have started any better. In DiMare’s first gam ...

One thing was obvious to Wayne Younger the first time he got his hands on Ladarius Tennison: The ath ...

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

The first half of Wednesday night’s game was as lousy as the weather outside the Watsco Center, as t ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The Shelley family shares their story of four generations at the University of Miami. ...

The Canes open the 75th season in program history and first under the direction of head coach Gino D ...

Game time is 6 p.m. in Chestnut Hill, Mass. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team will play its second top-five foe in a span of three g ...

The University of Miami golf team heads to the Big Easy to open competition Sunday at the 2019 Allst ...

Beatrice Mompremier of the Miami women's basketball team is a Lisa Leslie Center of the Year Aw ...