SG debates parking prices & lots

Alas, we have reached the last Student Government [SG] column of the semester.

At the last meeting I attended, Chuck McConnell, director of Parking and Transportation, updated SG on parking issues including the $20-$25 increase of resident and commuter parking pass prices to occur in the fall. Discount permits will remain unchanged to encourage garage usage.

There was also debate over the parking lot in front of Mahoney Residential College, which may be given over to commuters.

There is an ad hoc committee on this issue chaired by Mahoney Senators Mike Tenen and Chris Vasquez. Contact information for both of them is provided below.

Mary Sapp, assistant vice president of Planning and Institutional Research, spoke at the meeting to demonstrate MyUM – the new integrated web system for UM students.

Last semester, SG recommended that the administration place anti-slip grips on the outdoor stairs of the Cox science building because during rainy periods the steps became a hazard.

It was only recently – after a UM student slipped on those very steps and broke her arm – that the grips were implemented.

The moral of this story is that SG is run by students, so it often addresses the problems that face students every day of which the University administration may not be aware.

Increased awareness of SG, coupled with their new website, should keep them from being forgotten in the minds of students.

Mike Tenen can be reached at m.tenen@umiami.edu; Chris Vasquez at c.vasquez1@umiami.edu.

For more information visit the University of Miami SG website at www.miami.edu/sg.

Amy S. Lawrence can be contacted at aslawrence@umiami.edu.

CABINET CHAIRS

The new (SG) Cabinet Members:

Academic Affairs Chair- Ben Everard

Community Affairs Chair- Christie Asencio

University Affairs Chair- Joie Zambito

Auxiliary Committees Chair- Jud Dry

Cabinet-Senate Liaison- Brandase Witherspoon

Cabinet Secretary- Kayla Shoemaker

SENATE COMMITTEE CHAIRS

The new (SG) Senate Committee

Chairpersons:

Academic Affairs- Mike Levine

Budgetary Review- Mike Ershowsky

Public Relations- Gus Rearte

University Affairs- Billy Bludgus and Laura

Turano

The Miami Hurricanes didn’t waste long to find their replacements for Manny Diaz at defensive coordi ...

The Miami Hurricanes will have to try to get revenge on the Wisconsin Badgers without perhaps their ...

Mark Barnes likes to call Zion Nelson a “throwback” player, but the coach really means Nelson is sor ...

The land of palm trees, beaches and mojitos gave way to the land of the Liberty Bell, cheesesteaks a ...

The University of Miami on Thursday launched a national search as it begins the difficult task of re ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team will conclude its three-game homestand Sunday at 1 ...

World Series champion and UM baseball All-American Jon Jay will headline the 2019 First Pitch Banque ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...