SG debates parking prices & lots

Alas, we have reached the last Student Government [SG] column of the semester.

At the last meeting I attended, Chuck McConnell, director of Parking and Transportation, updated SG on parking issues including the $20-$25 increase of resident and commuter parking pass prices to occur in the fall. Discount permits will remain unchanged to encourage garage usage.

There was also debate over the parking lot in front of Mahoney Residential College, which may be given over to commuters.

There is an ad hoc committee on this issue chaired by Mahoney Senators Mike Tenen and Chris Vasquez. Contact information for both of them is provided below.

Mary Sapp, assistant vice president of Planning and Institutional Research, spoke at the meeting to demonstrate MyUM – the new integrated web system for UM students.

Last semester, SG recommended that the administration place anti-slip grips on the outdoor stairs of the Cox science building because during rainy periods the steps became a hazard.

It was only recently – after a UM student slipped on those very steps and broke her arm – that the grips were implemented.

The moral of this story is that SG is run by students, so it often addresses the problems that face students every day of which the University administration may not be aware.

Increased awareness of SG, coupled with their new website, should keep them from being forgotten in the minds of students.

Mike Tenen can be reached at m.tenen@umiami.edu; Chris Vasquez at c.vasquez1@umiami.edu.

For more information visit the University of Miami SG website at www.miami.edu/sg.

Amy S. Lawrence can be contacted at aslawrence@umiami.edu.

CABINET CHAIRS

The new (SG) Cabinet Members:

Academic Affairs Chair- Ben Everard

Community Affairs Chair- Christie Asencio

University Affairs Chair- Joie Zambito

Auxiliary Committees Chair- Jud Dry

Cabinet-Senate Liaison- Brandase Witherspoon

Cabinet Secretary- Kayla Shoemaker

SENATE COMMITTEE CHAIRS

The new (SG) Senate Committee

Chairpersons:

Academic Affairs- Mike Levine

Budgetary Review- Mike Ershowsky

Public Relations- Gus Rearte

University Affairs- Billy Bludgus and Laura

Turano

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

A new batch of evidence presented Monday at the college basketball trial in New York seems to furthe ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...