SG debates parking prices & lots

Alas, we have reached the last Student Government [SG] column of the semester.

At the last meeting I attended, Chuck McConnell, director of Parking and Transportation, updated SG on parking issues including the $20-$25 increase of resident and commuter parking pass prices to occur in the fall. Discount permits will remain unchanged to encourage garage usage.

There was also debate over the parking lot in front of Mahoney Residential College, which may be given over to commuters.

There is an ad hoc committee on this issue chaired by Mahoney Senators Mike Tenen and Chris Vasquez. Contact information for both of them is provided below.

Mary Sapp, assistant vice president of Planning and Institutional Research, spoke at the meeting to demonstrate MyUM – the new integrated web system for UM students.

Last semester, SG recommended that the administration place anti-slip grips on the outdoor stairs of the Cox science building because during rainy periods the steps became a hazard.

It was only recently – after a UM student slipped on those very steps and broke her arm – that the grips were implemented.

The moral of this story is that SG is run by students, so it often addresses the problems that face students every day of which the University administration may not be aware.

Increased awareness of SG, coupled with their new website, should keep them from being forgotten in the minds of students.

Mike Tenen can be reached at m.tenen@umiami.edu; Chris Vasquez at c.vasquez1@umiami.edu.

For more information visit the University of Miami SG website at www.miami.edu/sg.

Amy S. Lawrence can be contacted at aslawrence@umiami.edu.

CABINET CHAIRS

The new (SG) Cabinet Members:

Academic Affairs Chair- Ben Everard

Community Affairs Chair- Christie Asencio

University Affairs Chair- Joie Zambito

Auxiliary Committees Chair- Jud Dry

Cabinet-Senate Liaison- Brandase Witherspoon

Cabinet Secretary- Kayla Shoemaker

SENATE COMMITTEE CHAIRS

The new (SG) Senate Committee

Chairpersons:

Academic Affairs- Mike Levine

Budgetary Review- Mike Ershowsky

Public Relations- Gus Rearte

University Affairs- Billy Bludgus and Laura

Turano

One of the reasons Manny Diaz overhauled his recruiting department when he took over as UM’s coach i ...

Connor McLaughlin never gave much thought to the Miami Hurricanes when he was younger. Even though h ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ 2020 recruiting class continues to grow. Three-star Deerfield Beach wide recei ...

Chaminade-Madonna in Hollywood has produced some distinguished alums, including ESPN (and Miami Hera ...

Columbus was a popular destination for coaches throughout the first full week of May this spring. On ...

Academics met at the University of Miami to plan the next phase of a study looking at how journalist ...

Former University of Miami student Elio M. Garcia, Jr. and his wife Linda Antonsson discuss their jo ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are using big data to identify affordable housing opportuniti ...

From office furniture to electronics to kitchen items, the University of Miami sells surplus propert ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are studying zebrafish to understand human genetics and ident ...

With the seven-run victory, Miami won its ACC Championship opener for the fifth consecutive season. ...

For the second time in three years, Estela Perez-Somarriba of the University of Miami women's t ...

The Student-Athlete Development department has grown in size and scope and become an integral part o ...

For the second-straight season, Kevin Arreaga of the Miami track and field team secured a spot at na ...

The Bowling Green, Ky., native joins the Hurricanes after spending two seasons at Liberty. ...