SECOND LETTER TO THE EDITOR

To the editor:

I am disappointed by Deborah Acosta’s article on the student production of West Side Story (The Hurricane, April 20). The purpose and place of The Hurricane should not be to trash talk student productions. The language she used in her assault on the actors’ skills was unnecessary. She was rude. Mean. Vulgar. I hope that in the future she will take a more professional approach to her job as a “journalist.” Her comparison between the dancing in West Side Story and the “drunken staggering” at “a certain keg party” was completely uncalled for. There are ways to say that the dancing is unsynchronized without being so vicious. It is also regrettable that the good aspects of the musical were not mentioned until the very end – which was printed on a separate page, and therefore less likely to be seen.

I urge the writers and editors to show better taste in the articles they publish.

Sincerely,

Liz Johnson

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Friday: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt hasn’t yet given any indication to the ...

There are few players across Florida whose recruitment has been harder to parse than Derick Hunter’s ...

While University of Miami fans are not exactly thrilled about their Hurricanes going against the Wis ...

There was a time John Dixon looked like he would have his choice of just about any college he wanted ...

Part 2 of a 3-part series Former Marlins president David Samson, now unshackled by any contractual r ...

Following national recognition for its French production of Cinderella, the Frost Opera Theater is d ...

Several UM art students are getting real-world exposure during a highly anticipated – and attended – ...

Over the past several years, more and more students are using UM Libraries as a study place, a meeti ...

A record number of gifts have been collected across UM campuses to benefit children and seniors in t ...

Former Prime Minister of Israel Ehud Barak, who previously served as minister of the interior and mi ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

After a six-day layoff, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team will be back in action Sund ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...

University of Miami redshirt senior defensive tackle Gerald Willis III was recognized for his outsta ...

The University of Miami's redshirt senior setter Haley Templeton was named to the 2018 AVCA All ...