LETTER TO THE EDITOR

To the editor:

In response to a letter to the editor in The Hurricane on April 23, it’s interesting to hear criticism of what the College Republicans (CRs) have been doing all year from someone who isn’t even involved in the club (The Hurricane, letter to the editor, April 23).

To say that the College Democrats (Dems) have surpassed us this year in any shape, way or form is the most ridiculous thing I’ve ever heard. First, I don’t remember the Dems hosting Janet Reno as a speaker and, even if they did, she works at UM now and really isn’t that difficult to book. Second, the Dems “sponsored” Kerry’s visit to campus; they didn’t get him to come to Miami just to visit UM. They got more recognition for the event than they deserved. Third, the Dems have done nothing all year up until the time Kerry’s rally was announced. The banner campaign that has recently gone up is also in tandem with SpectrUM, which makes me question just how much the Dems really had to do with it.

Now, let’s look at what the CRs have done.

Last October we hosted Florida House Majority leader Marco Rubio. We’ve since hosted other speakers as well. In November we saluted America’s Veterans with our Veteran’s Day Memorial that honored the fallen of the War on Terrorism. In February we hosted a weeklong series of events titled “Elephant Stampede to Victory 2004” with guest speakers and a large kick-off rally. If you don’t remember that, then you aren’t as involved in campus politics as you make yourself out to be, because that was well-publicized with banners, flyers and The Hurricane. In between all that you could ask any CR and they’ll tell you we have been busy with membership-building events like socials, tabling, fundraising and our adopt-a-road clean up. We are also getting members involved in the Bush/Cheney campaign, something you may be interested in.

Trust me, we’re ready for the challenge of the upcoming election. If you truly are a Republican and a strong Bush supporter, we invite you to get involved with the CRs and make a difference in the campaign and get our President re-elected. For all those interested, please visit our website at www.umcrnc.org to learn about our organization.

Sincerely,

Pierre Gaunaurd, Chairman

UM College Republicans

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

On a historic afternoon for redshirt senior goalkeeper Phallon Tullis-Joyce, the University of Miami ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team kept its Sunday win streak alive by defeating Georgia Tech, 3-1 ...

The Miami women's tennis team wrapped up competition Sunday at the ITA Southeast Regional Champ ...

On the first day of Main Draw action at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Presented by Oracle ...

The Miami women's tennis team turned in a strong showing Saturday at the ITA Southeast Regional ...