EDITORIAL Each one, reach one.

Lately there have been discussions regarding the Butler Volunteer Services Center [VSC], and word is that one of the possibilities being contemplated is closing it sometime this summer. If this happens, we find it to be unacceptable, because community service is an integral part of college education and the college experience. If this doesn’t happen, then we take this opportunity to praise and acknowledge one of the lesser-appreciated centers on campus that we tend to take for granted.

Closing the VSC would go precisely against what the University should stand for. It would send the wrong message: volunteerism isn’t important enough to have an independently funded and run center of its own.

The VSC was established in 1989 and modeled after Stanford University’s Haas Center for Public Service. Centers like Haas and the VSC were created with the innovative idea of connecting schoolwork with community service, bringing together faculty and students to research and better their communities.

In effect, dozens of students take part in the VSC’s activities every year, totaling around 18,000 hours of community service work, according to the VSC’s website. The VSC engages in training student leaders in service, connecting students and student organizations with local service agencies and linking classroom work with practical work, among other things.

This will most likely be lost if the VSC is closed.

If the VSC were incorporated into another office, like the Smith-Tucker Involvement Center (a.k.a. the STIC), the importance of volunteerism will be devalued and watered down to be just a mere section of student involvement. As a part of another organization, volunteering activities would probably be under-funded or mismanaged, becoming just another of the many groups already under the STIC’s jurisdiction (like Hurricane Productions, SAFAC and the Elections Commission). This isn’t to say that the STIC is an ineffective manager of the services it provides. However, if UM is truly committed to public service, it should maintain volunteering activities as a separate organization.

The VSC already has a small, unobtrusive office to start off with. And yet, this office is always full of helpful people, information, opportunities and, if nothing else, objects that make any student feel happy and welcome, like colorful pillows, beanbag chairs and hand-drawn posters and thank you notes. What will happen to these dedicated people (who work long hours and often seven days a week) and to their overflowing bulletin boards and friendly knick-knacks if the VSC is closed?

The VSC is essential to UM. The activities it sponsors like Funday, A Week for Life, Alternative Spring Break, Kids and Culture and Up ‘Til Dawn are fulfilling experiences that make the average UM student a better person. They raise awareness about issues like mental illness, AIDS and poverty – important problems that, as privileged students, we often forget about.

It’s after volunteering in, say, Hurricanes Help the Hometown, that we gain a little perspective and return to our dorms realizing how petty and unimportant the latest Abercrombie fashion and the newest Mazda convertible really are.

At their best, they are UM’s most dynamic players on each side of the ball. But the Ahmmon Richards ...

A day after practicing in the Carol Soffer Football Indoor Practice Facility for the first time in s ...

It appears that at least one LSU receiver won’t be available at the University of Miami football ope ...

After the Miami Hurricanes football team spent part of its practice on Monday in a torrential downpo ...

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

Intergroup Dialogue, soon to be offered as a course, fosters a sense of belonging, an appreciation f ...

Aretha Franklin and her music defined “what is soul” to generations of music lovers. ...

The University of Miami kicked into high gear to welcome thousands of new students and ensure move-i ...

UM President Julio Frenk welcomes first-year and transfer students to UM in signature ’Cane Kickoff ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team won its exhibition match over FIU, 3-0, Saturday at the Knig ...

Coming off a road win in its season opener, the University of Miami soccer team will welcome crossto ...

In head coach Sarah Barnes' debut at the helm, the University of Miami soccer team won its seas ...

The Hurricanes practiced in the Carol Soffer Indoor Practice Facility for the first time ever on Fri ...

Malik Rosier, Travis Homer and Ahmmon Richards are key returning playmakers, but they are just the b ...