Briefs Women’s Track and Field

Women’s Track and Field

University of Miami junior Lauryn Williams continued her breakout season on Saturday by capturing the 100-meter championship at the 2004 Penn Relays at the University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia, Pa.

Williams posted a time of 11.15 seconds to defeat a talented field including Arkansas’ Veronica Campbell (11.27) and two-time defending Penn Relays Champion Muna Lee of LSU (11.30).

Williams has been nothing short of spectacular this outdoor season. At the Gatorade Classic on April 10 she ran the world’s fastest times this year in both the 100-meters (11.01) and 200-meters (22.46), and in Friday’s 100-meter Penn Relays preliminaries she set the meet record with a time of 11.10 seconds.

In the 4×400-meter relay the University of Miami team of senior Kitoya Carter, sophomore Charlette Greggs, sophomore Dominique Darden and freshman Ginou Etienne finished third in a time of 3:31.85. Miami’s time is a UM season best and the fourth fastest in the nation this season.

Rowing

The University of Miami rowing team will head to Worcester, Mass. this weekend to take part in the fourth annual Big East Women’s Rowing Challenge held on the waters or Lake Quinsigamond Sunday, April 25.

Along with the Hurricanes, eight Big East crews are slated to participate in the challenge, including three-time defending champions Syracuse, Notre Dame, Boston College, Georgetown, Rutgers, Villanova, West Virginia and Connecticut.

The Hurricanes send four boats to this year’s Challenge with the Varsity 8 crew of Laura Comeau (Cox), Karen Wiley, Jenny Krawec, Jacqui Julien, Sarah Conlon, Rachel Clausing, Caroline Stuart, Ananda Chou and Jordanna Heywood, Junior Varsity 8 crew of Jessica Martin (Cox), Rachel Sander, Bridget Gallagher, Anna Cohen, Julie Crane, Ashley Marincsin, Jacqui Heywood, Aoife Forde and Deirdre Curran, Varsity 4 crew of Hannah Bae (Cox), Jenny Dunning, Laura Coltman, Taurii Coyne and Yassi Haririnia and Novice 8 crew of Meghan Leydecker (Cox), Val Webb, Ashley Via, Natasha Lejer, Erin Morris, Sarah Stocks, Noelle Van Ee, Molly Wilson and Marenda Chamberlin each looking to lead UM to their first Big East title.

Eleven football seasons ago, after the Miami Hurricanes and FIU Panthers met at the Orange Bowl for ...

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball program won its third straight match in 3-0 fashion on Friday night ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team registered two straight-set wins Friday ...

It's been over a decade since they last met, but Miami and FIU are set to renew their crosstown ...

The University of Miami cross country team gears up to compete in its third meet of the season this ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a five-year contract extensio ...