Artist Romero Britto to join Sigma Phi Epsilon

World-renowned South Beach artist Romero Britto has accepted an invitation to join the UM chapter of Sigma Phi Epsilon [SigEp]. Britto’s bold artistic compositions bring bright colors and imaginative designs to museums and art galleries around the world – including the homes of international celebrities such as the Kennedys, Guggenheims and Rothschilds, as well as the White House and the Smithsonian in Washington.

Born in 1963 in Recife, Brazil, Britto developed his artistic talent as a young child, painting on scraps of newspaper and cardboard. After moving to Miami 18 years ago, he quickly attained international stardom after being commissioned by Absolut Vodka to compose a series of print ads. Britto donated gifts of artwork to 92 international charities last year, and his paintings bring smiles to the faces of sick children at many of the major children’s hospitals in the U.S.

UM recently commissioned Britto to produce the official artwork for Momentum, President Shalala’s billion-dollar fundraising campaign. His original UM-inspired painting will be unveiled in coming weeks and will be available to collectors as a limited edition print.

In addition, Britto will be designing and showcasing two original canvases to be on permanent display in the lobby of the soon-to-be-built Everglades on the Bay condominiums in downtown Miami. His works are on display on Calle Ocho, and he has a showroom on Lincoln Road.

SigEp approached Britto earlier this year about becoming an honorary member of the fraternity through the Sigma Phi Epsilon Renaissance of Brotherhood program.

“I am honored to accept your invitation to join SigEp,” Britto said, addressing the SigEp brothers at a recent meeting. “I look forward to sharing my artistic vision with all of you as you work toward achieving your dreams.”

Britto will be formally initiated into SigEp at a special ceremony on May 1. His artwork will also be showcased in an upcoming edition of The Journal, SigEp’s quarterly national publication.

For more information about Britto’s art, visit www.britto.com.

Jason Guercio can be contacted at j.guercio@umiami.edu.

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The Miami women's tennis team opened play Friday at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Pr ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team impressed in its quad-meet Friday af ...

The University of Miami volleyball team (10-6, 6-3 ACC) came up short in an ACC home match for the f ...

Junior averaged 11.4 points and 6.7 rebounds per game last season. ...

University of Miami head coach Gino DiMare released the Hurricanes' 2019 baseball schedule Thur ...