Artist Romero Britto to join Sigma Phi Epsilon

World-renowned South Beach artist Romero Britto has accepted an invitation to join the UM chapter of Sigma Phi Epsilon [SigEp]. Britto’s bold artistic compositions bring bright colors and imaginative designs to museums and art galleries around the world – including the homes of international celebrities such as the Kennedys, Guggenheims and Rothschilds, as well as the White House and the Smithsonian in Washington.

Born in 1963 in Recife, Brazil, Britto developed his artistic talent as a young child, painting on scraps of newspaper and cardboard. After moving to Miami 18 years ago, he quickly attained international stardom after being commissioned by Absolut Vodka to compose a series of print ads. Britto donated gifts of artwork to 92 international charities last year, and his paintings bring smiles to the faces of sick children at many of the major children’s hospitals in the U.S.

UM recently commissioned Britto to produce the official artwork for Momentum, President Shalala’s billion-dollar fundraising campaign. His original UM-inspired painting will be unveiled in coming weeks and will be available to collectors as a limited edition print.

In addition, Britto will be designing and showcasing two original canvases to be on permanent display in the lobby of the soon-to-be-built Everglades on the Bay condominiums in downtown Miami. His works are on display on Calle Ocho, and he has a showroom on Lincoln Road.

SigEp approached Britto earlier this year about becoming an honorary member of the fraternity through the Sigma Phi Epsilon Renaissance of Brotherhood program.

“I am honored to accept your invitation to join SigEp,” Britto said, addressing the SigEp brothers at a recent meeting. “I look forward to sharing my artistic vision with all of you as you work toward achieving your dreams.”

Britto will be formally initiated into SigEp at a special ceremony on May 1. His artwork will also be showcased in an upcoming edition of The Journal, SigEp’s quarterly national publication.

For more information about Britto’s art, visit www.britto.com.

Jason Guercio can be contacted at j.guercio@umiami.edu.

Boston College star Ky Bowman came down with a 102-degree fever on Saturday night. Jordan Chatman an ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Sunday: ▪ New UM defensive coordinator Blake Baker has asked UM ...

Emese Hof and No. 20 Miami think they can play with anyone, and it shows. Hof scored 18 of her 25 po ...

New University of Miami baseball head coach Gino DiMare wanted to start strong. He got perfection. T ...

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The Hurricanes dropped a tight contest with the Eagles in Chestnut Hill, 64-57. ...

The sophomore first baseman slugged his second homer of the weekend to lead the Canes to a series wi ...

Junior Renate Grimstad led the way for Miami and is tied for 18th at one-over-par, while sophomore K ...