Student service, Greek scholars honored in awards ceremonies

“Although we wear different letters, we are all part of the University family,” Cecilia Suarez, president of the Latino Greek Council, said last week at the Greek Apple Polishing Ceremony, an opportunity for Greeks to acknowledge their academic achievement as well as honor the Greek community’s choice of outstanding administrator.

Greek chapters under UM’s four governing bodies – the National Interfraternity Council, the Latino Greek Council, the National Pan-Hellenic Council and the National Panhellenic Conference – were present at the ceremonies to celebrate their academic accomplishments for Fall 2003.

“It’s nice to see a great turn after last year” said Nick Anderson, after accepting the award for Fall 2003 Above All Men GPA on behalf of his fraternity, Kappa Sigma.

“It feels wonderful. I’m glad to see my hard work pay off and I have made my mother proud,” said Myriam Bien-Aime, member of Zeta Phi Beta, awarded for a GPA above 3.5.

In addition to awarding Greek organizations and members for their academic excellence, faculty members were recognized by the Greek community for their involvement on campus and support of the student body.

Dr. Juliet Gainsborough, assistant professor in the School of Business, was awarded Outstanding Professor and Keith Fletcher, Hecht resident coordinator, was awarded Outstanding Administrator.

Myriam Clerge can be contacted at m.clerge@umiami.edu.

STUDENT ORGANIZATION AWARD WINNERS

The 2004 Student Organization Achievement Recognition [SOAR] Awards:

Excellence in Programming – Performance: Indian Students Association

Excellence in Programming – Cultural: Federaci

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

New technology could help schools identify shooters and other intruders before they enter the door. ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to return to Cobb Stadium, where it will host No. 12 Duke ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...