NEWS BRIEFS

Library open 24 hours for finals

Beginning this Saturday, April 24, the Otto Richter Library will be running on a 24-hour schedule until the end of final exams. Student Government and the Honor Council will be giving out snacks and pencils at the entrance of the library on Sunday, April 25 at 6 p.m. to kick off the opening.

UM receives study grant
on secular Judaism
The University of Miami received a $50,000 grant from the Center for Cultural Judaism located in New York with support from the Posen Foundation. The grant will fund the study of secular Judaism as a necessary component of a comprehensive Judaic Studies program. The aim of the Center for Cultural Judaism and the Posen Foundation is to support the teaching of new courses designed specifically to examine the phenomenon of Secular Judaism in its own right, as its own topic. The Center for Cultural Judaism is dedicated to supporting programs on behalf of this large, under-served population. For more information on the Center for Cultural Judaism visit their website at www.culturaljudaism.org.

Duke ditches 8 a.m. classes to help students sleep more

Duke University is getting rid of 8 a.m. classes in an effort to help sleep-deprived students. According to some national surveys, lack of sleep among college students is an old problem that is quickly getting worse. In the 1980s, college students were recorded to have slept about seven to 7.5 hours. However, the current college student only gets an average of six to seven hours of shuteye. When campus planners at Duke looked over the schedule, they realized that students had been avoiding 8 a.m. classes, making classes between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. the popular choice. Many departments even stopped offering 8 a.m. classes.
Administrators worked out a new schedule for the fall in response to the complaints of students regarding availability of courses. Spreading classes more evenly throughout the day and week resulted in many classes beginning at 8:30 a.m. rather than at 8 a.m.

UM Canterbury has several positions available for students looking for work. Contact Phyllis Bochman, executive director, at pbochman@miami.edu or Michelle Klein at 305-284-5437 for more information.

Learn about salsa, danz

It wasn’t long ago when the Miami Hurricanes’ Class of 2020 included the top three rising senior pro ...

Six new Hurricanes football players arrived on campus and began classes Monday, a group including a ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship schedule is set. The No. 4 seed Miami Hurricanes ...

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ hopes for hosting an NCAA regional were damaged a bit on Friday night by a 12- ...

Imagine simulating diabetes, lung cancer, or heart disease on a device no larger than a credit card. ...

Alabama’s new abortion law puts the issue of women’s rights in the spotlight for the upcoming 2020 e ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Researchers from 16 Latin American and Caribbean countries, hosted by the Institute for the Advanced ...

Four Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the Atlantic Coast Conference Monday for their ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team started her NCAA Singles Cha ...

The Barcelona, Spain, native caps his sophomore campaign with a team-high 21 singles wins. ...

The University of Miami track and field program garnered 20 entries in the 2019 NCAA East Preliminar ...

Miami's schedule features seven matches against teams that reached the NCAA Championship. ...