NEWS BRIEFS

Library open 24 hours for finals

Beginning this Saturday, April 24, the Otto Richter Library will be running on a 24-hour schedule until the end of final exams. Student Government and the Honor Council will be giving out snacks and pencils at the entrance of the library on Sunday, April 25 at 6 p.m. to kick off the opening.

UM receives study grant
on secular Judaism
The University of Miami received a $50,000 grant from the Center for Cultural Judaism located in New York with support from the Posen Foundation. The grant will fund the study of secular Judaism as a necessary component of a comprehensive Judaic Studies program. The aim of the Center for Cultural Judaism and the Posen Foundation is to support the teaching of new courses designed specifically to examine the phenomenon of Secular Judaism in its own right, as its own topic. The Center for Cultural Judaism is dedicated to supporting programs on behalf of this large, under-served population. For more information on the Center for Cultural Judaism visit their website at www.culturaljudaism.org.

Duke ditches 8 a.m. classes to help students sleep more

Duke University is getting rid of 8 a.m. classes in an effort to help sleep-deprived students. According to some national surveys, lack of sleep among college students is an old problem that is quickly getting worse. In the 1980s, college students were recorded to have slept about seven to 7.5 hours. However, the current college student only gets an average of six to seven hours of shuteye. When campus planners at Duke looked over the schedule, they realized that students had been avoiding 8 a.m. classes, making classes between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. the popular choice. Many departments even stopped offering 8 a.m. classes.
Administrators worked out a new schedule for the fall in response to the complaints of students regarding availability of courses. Spreading classes more evenly throughout the day and week resulted in many classes beginning at 8:30 a.m. rather than at 8 a.m.

UM Canterbury has several positions available for students looking for work. Contact Phyllis Bochman, executive director, at pbochman@miami.edu or Michelle Klein at 305-284-5437 for more information.

Learn about salsa, danz

While the University of Miami has just three Class of 2019 oral commitments on offense, the Canes ha ...

Gerald Willis’ monster season has earned another piece of national recognition. On Monday, the Miami ...

It hasn’t been a great few weeks on the recruiting trail for the Miami Hurricanes with regards to of ...

A six-pack of Heat notes, leading up to Heat-Lakers on Monday night: ▪ In the days before one of his ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Friday: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt hasn’t yet given any indication to the ...

Most UM Debate Team members devote 10 to 15 hours of preparation for each tournament. ...

National Geographic connects with the University of Miami to empower the next generation of storytel ...

Following national recognition for its French production of Cinderella, the Frost Opera Theater is d ...

Several UM art students are getting real-world exposure during a highly anticipated – and attended – ...

Over the past several years, more and more students are using UM Libraries as a study place, a meeti ...

Gerald Willis III added to his postseason awards list, picking up second-team All-America honors fro ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...

After a six-day layoff, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team will be back in action Sund ...

University of Miami redshirt senior defensive tackle Gerald Willis III was recognized for his outsta ...