New sororities to organize at UM next fall

The first sorority to be established in the United States is coming to campus. UM will welcome Alpha Delta Pi [ADPi], which will be joining the six Panhellenic Association sororities already at the University.

“We are excited with the selection and are confident that ADPi has the experience and support necessary to be successful at UM,” Kara Miller, coordinator for Greek Affairs, said. “The girls here will benefit from having more options when deciding to go Greek.”

ADPi was selected in the final round by a panel of students and alumni, including the Panhellenic Executive Board and the presidents and advisors of each sorority.

“The selection process was extensive to make sure that the right sorority came to campus,” Miller said.

The 20 nationally recognized sororities currently not on campus were invited to apply to be the new sorority in the Panhellenic Association at UM. Of the 13 sororities that submitted applications, ADPi, Alpha Chi Omega and Chi Omega were chosen to come to UM to give presentations during March. All three had been on campus in the ’60s and ’70s and, if chosen, would only need to be recolonized.

“We looked for the sorority that would best match those already here in important areas including philanthropy, overall themes and social events,” said Megan Shepter, vice president of Panhellenic executive board and a member of the selection panel.

ADPi, the oldest secret society in the world for college women, was founded nationally in 1851 with the motto “We live for each other.” According to Robyn Meyer, president of ADPi’s UF chapter, it was the first sorority founded at UF and continues to be the largest, with 196 members.

“I am excited that UM is going to have an ADPi chapter, and I know that they will continue the motto of ‘First, finest, and forever,'” Amy Popper, member of ADPi at UF, said.

ADPi will have a special recruitment process this September. It will participate in the open house rounds with other Panhellenic sororities for only the first two days, and girls wishing to be a part of ADPi will then rush for it exclusively, after match has completed for other sororities. ADPi will seek a diverse group of new members and current campus leaders not affiliated with the Greek system. It will have the potential to accept 90 women, allowing many more girls to become involved in sororities.

“I am very excited about ADPi and hope to be a part of it next year,” Katie Reid, sophomore, said.

In addition to ADPi, the historically black sorority Delta Sigma Theta is coming to campus. UM will have eight of the nine National Pan-Hellenic Council, Inc. International Greek letter sororities and fraternities available on campus.

For more information on Greek life, visit http://www.miami.edu/greeklife.

Vivek Kalra can be contacted at v.kalra@umiami.edu.

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

The 1983 national champions will be back on campus to celebrate the 35thanniversary of Miami's ...

The University of Miami volleyball program begins ACC play on Friday night against Wake Forest at 7 ...

Head coach Katie Meier announced Wednesday the ninth annual Miami Women's Basketball Fantasy Ca ...

The yearly Miami Fall Invite will take place Friday through Sunday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center, ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...