EVENT PREVIEW WIIIIIINNGGSSS! Red Bull to take off at Bayfront

Red Bull is no longer just for mixing with Vodka. This Saturday, you can watch it fuel the bodies and brains of hundreds of contestants as they get ready to propel off of a 30 foot barge into the intercoastal at Bayfront Park, while strapped to something that they’re all hoping will fly far enough to win them flying lessons.

Invented by the founder of Red Bull, Dietrich Mateschitz, FLUGTAG, which is German for “flying day,” first warmed the hearts of Austrians in 1991 before coming to America in 2002 to be received by thousands of wild fans with open arms and squished Red Bull cans behind their ears. Finally, FLUGTAG is coming to Downtown Miami where 31 teams have been working since last year to perfect their crowd-pleasing, air-savvy aircrafts. Among the 31 contestants are Flying Sun-chaiser, Bonzai Penguin, JIPC Cruzr, Sandbar Flyer, and Empanada Glider – all Miami natives – each bringing their own taste of Miami life to the event.

Flying Sun-chaiser, for example, is a symbol of the great Miamian pastime: lying in the sun. It’s not for sure, but guessing from the name of their plane and the style of the event, they could be flying a lounge chair into the water.

Miami’s diversity also gets major representation at FLUGTAG. “JIPC stands for our collective heritage,” says Frank Andreu from team JIPC Cruzr. “Jewish, Irish, Polish, and Cuban.” Jewish and Cuban, yes. Irish and Polish?

On another note, The Empanada Glider basically says it all. “The classic empanada shape is perfect for a glider-style wing,” Captain Simon Nava says of his aircraft. “I don’t think anyone eats more empanadas than we do!” he says, so he should know.

Not everyone is a fan of the Miami thang though, especially when it comes to University of Miami students. “Our football team beat Miami 31 to 7 last season, when Miami was ranked number 2…it takes more than a Hurricane to intimidate us,” says Chris Tallman of Virginia Tech, who will be flying Hokie Hunt this Saturday.

What else to expect this Saturday: Vatican Air, inspired by The Flying Nun, a flying camel, and a 25 X 30 foot piece of paper to take its final form as a paper airplane at the dock. Strange.

Red Bull says it takes brains to build one and an entirely different body part to pilot it off a 30-foot ramp. I say that other body part is chutzpa.

Linda Hoffman can be contacted LindaNHoffman2@umiami.edu.

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday night: ▪ FIU has decided that its Nov. 23 football game agains ...

Dewan Hernandez hit another NCAA roadblock on Monday, but the University of Miami forward will take ...

Jeff Thomas will be joining the Illinois Fighting Illini after all. After a few days of discussion a ...

While the University of Miami awaits what quarterback it will get Feb. 6 on National Signing Day, ne ...

It appears the University of Miami football program has found its answer to intelligent, energetic, ...

Grantees aim to eliminate opportunity gaps and biases in different realms and improve brain injury t ...

The film launches the 2019 film series for the UM Libraries Cuban Heritage Collection. ...

Here’s a go-to list of dates you should keep an eye on throughout the semester, along with some tidb ...

For more than 77 years, UM Hillel has provided a vibrant and diverse “home-away-from-home” that is f ...

University of Miami experts weigh in on the largest increase in carbon emissions in eight years. ...

The University of Miami football program has hired Dan Enos as its offensive coordinator and quarter ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team wrapped up play on its first weekend of competition Sunday ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team wrapped up play at the Miami Spring Invite Sunday, wi ...

Chris Lykes scored 25 points as Miami got past Wake Forest. ...