Asian-American students seek identity in month of awareness

Last Tuesday, with poise and a sense of urgency, UM creative writing Professor M. Evelina Galang read selections from her works that explore unanswered questions in issues such as teenage pregnancy in American culture. Imploring young Asian-American students to speak out on issues they are traditionally taught to be silent on, she emulated one of the aims of Asian Pacific American Awareness Month [APAAM]: to speak out.

Inspired by last fall’s Screaming Monkeys, a symposium exploring the images of Asians in America, students have been seeking insight on their cultural identity during APAAM. A series of student-led panels gave students the opportunity to debate with faculty and their peers on such issues as the Asian-American identity, affirmative action and the William Hung phenomenon.

Students discussed the identity crisis of many Asian Americans during the first panel, “This is what I stand for: The Emerging Political Voice of the Asian-American Student.”

“I never viewed myself as both Filipino and American – I always chose between being Filipino or American; never both,” Mark Abinsay, freshman, said. “But these events allowed me to grasp the concept of being Filipino-American more, and I realized the identity I’ve been looking for.”

Abinsay’s identity struggle encompasses the month’s goal to increase awareness among Asian Americans of their own identities and how they interplay in American society. Rather than sacrificing one’s unique culture in the pursuit of assimilating, the focus needs to be on redefining the meaning of an American to include the “melting pot” of America.

According to Chris Dy, Screaming Monkeys crew member, the most important lesson to take away from this month is the need for education. APAAM hopes to break stereotypes of Asian Americans and to encourage a more broad and inclusive education.

“[Asian-American] is not a fragmented identity, nor a compromised identity, but a unique and inclusive blend of both Asian and American,” Dy said.

Celebrated scholar Ronald Takaki stressed the inherent need for a more multi-cultural curriculum in his lecture “America in a Different Mirror: Revisioning our History” earlier in the month. He challenged students to ask themselves ,”How do you know what you know?”

The month will end with the Filipino Student Association cultural show on Friday, April 23, at the Holiday Inn.

For more information about APAAM, contact FSA at www.miami.edu/studorgs/fsa.

Cecille Lucero can be contacted at c.lucero1@umiami.edu.

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

Friday was strange for Gino DiMare. It wasn’t because his whole family went out to the mound at Alex ...

One thing was obvious to Wayne Younger the first time he got his hands on Ladarius Tennison: The ath ...

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The University of Miami baseball team opened the Gino DiMare era with a record-setting victory over ...

The University of Miami women's swimming team put together 14 lifetime bests Saturday at its an ...

Game time is 6 p.m. in Chestnut Hill, Mass. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team will play its second top-five foe in a span of three g ...

Despite earning the doubles point, the No. 15 Miami women's tennis team dropped a 5-2 decision ...