Where They Stand

For those who have started thinking about the impending 2004 Presidential election, it’s important to know where the three major candidates stand on various topics.
Here is a – very – brief overview on the candidates’ views on a few important issues:

Economy

Bush – Speeding up 2001 tax cuts to increase pace of economic recovery; Stimulate job-creating investment with dividend and capital gains tax relief; $20 billion in aid to the states.

Kerry – Roll back Bush tax cuts, invest money in education and health care; Job creation through manufacturing jobs credit, investing in new energy industries; Tax reform to encourage companies to create jobs in America and an end to tax benefits for corporations that ship jobs overseas.

Nader – Requiring equitable trade; Investing in renewable energy policy and in urgently needed local infrastructure projects; Putting human needs before corporate needs.

Health Care

Kerry – Closing loopholes and fighting waste and fraud in the system; More affordable prescription drugs and malpractice insurance; A new “quality” bonus for providers who improve care while reducing cost.

Nader – Single payer program with full coverage; Ending insurance company administration of health care; Expanded coverage.

Bush – More choices for Medicare recipients; Full coverage for disease prevention; Improved prescription drug coverage without government dictating drug choices.

Environment

Nader – Strengthen toxic standards to include the protection of children; Incorporate environmental protection in all areas of governance.

Bush – $1.2 billion hydrogen fuel initiative; “Clear Skies” initiative to cut power plant emissions; Fiscal Year ’04 request of $44.9 billion for environment and natural resources budget.

Kerry – Federal assistance to deal with traffic congestion and urban sprawl; Creation of environmental empowerment zones; 20 percent of electricity from renewable sources by 2020.

Iraq/ National Security

Bush – Defense budget increase of $15.3 billion; Increased military pay; Stay the course in the War on Terror; Facilitate democracy in Iraq.

Kerry – Bring in the United Nations as a full partner in Iraq’s transition to democracy; Increased military pay; Increased international involvement to strengthen Iraqi security.

Nader – Opposed war in Iraq; Replace US forces with UN Peacekeepers; Money spent on war in Iraq should be re-directed to domestic considerations such as health care and education.

All information came from the official candidate websites. For a more in-depth look at these and other issues, check out all these campaign websites:

Bush – www.georgewbush.com
Kerry – www.johnkerry.com
Nader – www.votenader.org

Compiled by Scott Wacholtz.

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday: ▪ If you ever wondered what the Hurricanes would look like if ...

Demetrius Jackson has come through again for his Overtown neighborhood. For the second year in a row ...

Days after praising Mark Richt, Clemson grad transfer quarterback Kelly Bryant has canceled his Frid ...

Mark Richt kept his word. On Thursday, two days before the Miami Hurricanes defeated Virginia Tech 3 ...

The season is evaporating before our eyes. And nothing made that more obvious than University of Mia ...

Erin Kobetz, director of Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center’s Firefighter Cancer Initiative, disc ...

Kristiana Yao, who graduated summa cum laude in May, said she was “still in shock” after finding out ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 75-52 decision Sunday at Iowa State in the P ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team forced No. 10 Pitt to five sets in a thrilling match on Seni ...

University of Miami head golf coach Patti Rizzo announced Thursday the signing of three golfers to N ...