Where They Stand

For those who have started thinking about the impending 2004 Presidential election, it’s important to know where the three major candidates stand on various topics.
Here is a – very – brief overview on the candidates’ views on a few important issues:

Economy

Bush – Speeding up 2001 tax cuts to increase pace of economic recovery; Stimulate job-creating investment with dividend and capital gains tax relief; $20 billion in aid to the states.

Kerry – Roll back Bush tax cuts, invest money in education and health care; Job creation through manufacturing jobs credit, investing in new energy industries; Tax reform to encourage companies to create jobs in America and an end to tax benefits for corporations that ship jobs overseas.

Nader – Requiring equitable trade; Investing in renewable energy policy and in urgently needed local infrastructure projects; Putting human needs before corporate needs.

Health Care

Kerry – Closing loopholes and fighting waste and fraud in the system; More affordable prescription drugs and malpractice insurance; A new “quality” bonus for providers who improve care while reducing cost.

Nader – Single payer program with full coverage; Ending insurance company administration of health care; Expanded coverage.

Bush – More choices for Medicare recipients; Full coverage for disease prevention; Improved prescription drug coverage without government dictating drug choices.

Environment

Nader – Strengthen toxic standards to include the protection of children; Incorporate environmental protection in all areas of governance.

Bush – $1.2 billion hydrogen fuel initiative; “Clear Skies” initiative to cut power plant emissions; Fiscal Year ’04 request of $44.9 billion for environment and natural resources budget.

Kerry – Federal assistance to deal with traffic congestion and urban sprawl; Creation of environmental empowerment zones; 20 percent of electricity from renewable sources by 2020.

Iraq/ National Security

Bush – Defense budget increase of $15.3 billion; Increased military pay; Stay the course in the War on Terror; Facilitate democracy in Iraq.

Kerry – Bring in the United Nations as a full partner in Iraq’s transition to democracy; Increased military pay; Increased international involvement to strengthen Iraqi security.

Nader – Opposed war in Iraq; Replace US forces with UN Peacekeepers; Money spent on war in Iraq should be re-directed to domestic considerations such as health care and education.

All information came from the official candidate websites. For a more in-depth look at these and other issues, check out all these campaign websites:

Bush – www.georgewbush.com
Kerry – www.johnkerry.com
Nader – www.votenader.org

Compiled by Scott Wacholtz.

After the Miami Hurricanes football team spent part of its practice on Monday in a torrential downpo ...

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

They are two big bodies with experience, but new to the University of Miami. And the Miami Hurricane ...

Freshman quarterback Jarren Williams, who returned to practice Wednesday after missing most of Tuesd ...

Corey Gaynor is working hard to solidify his spot as backup center to UM senior standout Tyler Gauth ...

Intergroup Dialogue, soon to be offered as a course, fosters a sense of belonging, an appreciation f ...

Aretha Franklin and her music defined “what is soul” to generations of music lovers. ...

The University of Miami kicked into high gear to welcome thousands of new students and ensure move-i ...

UM President Julio Frenk welcomes first-year and transfer students to UM in signature ’Cane Kickoff ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

In head coach Sarah Barnes' debut at the helm, the University of Miami soccer team won its seas ...

The Hurricanes practiced in the Carol Soffer Indoor Practice Facility for the first time ever on Fri ...

Malik Rosier, Travis Homer and Ahmmon Richards are key returning playmakers, but they are just the b ...

The University of Miami soccer team will travel to Boca Raton, Fla., Friday night as the team kicks ...

The University of Miami's volleyball team returns to the Knight Sports Complex on Saturday at 3 ...