Where They Stand

For those who have started thinking about the impending 2004 Presidential election, it’s important to know where the three major candidates stand on various topics.
Here is a – very – brief overview on the candidates’ views on a few important issues:

Economy

Bush – Speeding up 2001 tax cuts to increase pace of economic recovery; Stimulate job-creating investment with dividend and capital gains tax relief; $20 billion in aid to the states.

Kerry – Roll back Bush tax cuts, invest money in education and health care; Job creation through manufacturing jobs credit, investing in new energy industries; Tax reform to encourage companies to create jobs in America and an end to tax benefits for corporations that ship jobs overseas.

Nader – Requiring equitable trade; Investing in renewable energy policy and in urgently needed local infrastructure projects; Putting human needs before corporate needs.

Health Care

Kerry – Closing loopholes and fighting waste and fraud in the system; More affordable prescription drugs and malpractice insurance; A new “quality” bonus for providers who improve care while reducing cost.

Nader – Single payer program with full coverage; Ending insurance company administration of health care; Expanded coverage.

Bush – More choices for Medicare recipients; Full coverage for disease prevention; Improved prescription drug coverage without government dictating drug choices.

Environment

Nader – Strengthen toxic standards to include the protection of children; Incorporate environmental protection in all areas of governance.

Bush – $1.2 billion hydrogen fuel initiative; “Clear Skies” initiative to cut power plant emissions; Fiscal Year ’04 request of $44.9 billion for environment and natural resources budget.

Kerry – Federal assistance to deal with traffic congestion and urban sprawl; Creation of environmental empowerment zones; 20 percent of electricity from renewable sources by 2020.

Iraq/ National Security

Bush – Defense budget increase of $15.3 billion; Increased military pay; Stay the course in the War on Terror; Facilitate democracy in Iraq.

Kerry – Bring in the United Nations as a full partner in Iraq’s transition to democracy; Increased military pay; Increased international involvement to strengthen Iraqi security.

Nader – Opposed war in Iraq; Replace US forces with UN Peacekeepers; Money spent on war in Iraq should be re-directed to domestic considerations such as health care and education.

All information came from the official candidate websites. For a more in-depth look at these and other issues, check out all these campaign websites:

Bush – www.georgewbush.com
Kerry – www.johnkerry.com
Nader – www.votenader.org

Compiled by Scott Wacholtz.

Miami baseball coach Gino DiMare didn’t want his Hurricanes this past Sunday looking ahead to the we ...

When UM spring practice begins in a month, here’s one of many things the coaches need to determine: ...

Jaiden Francois already had a reputation as one of South Florida’s top defensive backs for the Class ...

It could be a fruitful year for the Miami Hurricanes in the 2019 NFL Draft. NFL Draft analyst Mel Ki ...

A quick six-pack off UM coach Manny Diaz’s conversation with Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey Jr. on WQAM’ ...

Students are invited to participate in the second annual Students of Color Symposium this weekend, f ...

The University of Miami connects scholarship recipients with the donors who helped make their educat ...

From eliminating waste to reusable containers, there are simple steps you can take to make UM more s ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

The Ring Theatre’s contemporary reworking of Molière’s “The Misanthrope” showcases the skills of UM’ ...

The University of Miami got off to a dream start at the ACC Swimming & Diving Championships Wedn ...

The sophomore first baseman smashed two homers to help power Canes to 4-0 start. ...

The University of Miami track and field team is set to compete at the 2019 ACC Indoor Track and Fiel ...

The Hurricanes will wrap up a four-game homestand with a midweek game against FAU on Wednesday at 6 ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...