Supposed campus political apathy a no-show at crowded Kerry rally

Thousands of UM students battled the sun and humidity last weekend to be a part of history as John Kerry brought his campaign to campus.

“I think that it really says something – this turnout on a supposedly politically apathetic campus,” Chris Fisher, freshman, said. “I mean, maybe we’re not so apathetic after all.”

The crowd consisted mainly of students and faculty, but members of the Coral Gables community were present, of course in addition to the myriad of news crews. Kerry signs and buttons were displayed openly among the thousands of Kerry supporters that showed up at the rally.

“I support Kerry and I wanted to hear what he had to say in person,” Mark Lebsord, senior, said.

“I heard about [the rally]and I support Kerry, so I decided to come and see what it’s all about,” Kiyomi Beach, junior, said. “There’s like a line all the way around the back, so it’s crazier than I thought it would be.”

One long line of people snaked past Eaton Residential College, while the other went from the UM Bookstore all the way past the Rat.

After crowding into the Rock, the audience was pumped up through upbeat music, chants and colorful signs and flags. Kerry made his grand entrance to the eruption of applause and cheers.

“I’m a Democrat and I just wanted to come and support my candidate for President,” Paul Burkart, freshman, said. “I think that [the turnout]is great. I’ve never seen so many people on campus in one place before.”

As is customary in a democratic country, the opposition made an appearance to express their dissenting opinions. President Bush supporters dotted the crowd with their signs and cheers.

“How can you lower taxes and give people tax cuts and raise taxes for healthcare and everything like that?” Brad Tadum, sophomore, said. “He’s a very good speaker, and it’s going to be a very close election – but I think he’s a hypocrite.”

Throughout Kerry’s speech, the air was filled with cheers and supportive comments made by the audience, who listened intently to what Kerry had to say.

“I think [Kerry] touched on a lot of good issues, especially issues that pertain to the majority of the crowd,” Dahra Ahned, senior, said. “I wasn’t aware of the issues before coming here, and now I think that I’m better informed on how I’m going to vote in November.”

Christine Dominguez can be contacted at c.dominguez3@umiami.edu.

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ secondary continues to get stronger. Miami, which already holds a pair of comm ...

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

A fabulous team of staff and volunteers labors long and hard, primed with school spirit, behind the ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

University of Miami head coach Gino DiMare released the Hurricanes' 2019 baseball schedule Thur ...

Senior Dew Weber of the University of Miami golf team continued to march towards her professional go ...

The University of Miami soccer team dropped its ACC road match against NC State, 1-0, Thursday night ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Champion ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team returns to competition this weekend, ...