Students up all night for children

Before the age of 19, one in every 330 children in the United States will develop some form of cancer, according to the National Children’s Cancer Foundation.

St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital, founded in 1962 by the late entertainer Danny Thomas, is dedicated to treating children with catastrophic diseases and has become one of the world’s leading childhood cancer treatment centers.

This year, for the first time ever, UM took part in St. Jude Up ’til Dawn, a student-run program hosted by colleges and universities across the country. UM students like Amy Omae, senior, and Clarissa Afable, junior, were encouraged to write letters to family and friends asking them to donate to St. Jude.

Up ’til Dawn held its finale event last week in the UC. Students were literally “up ’til dawn”; from 9 p.m. to 3 a.m. Saturday night, students enjoyed music from a live band, a pool party, karaoke, free food and arcade games.

“We’re celebrating a good cause,” said Barbara Laurent, junior, as she enjoyed the pranks of mentalist Craig Karges. “The hospital does a lot for the kids – especially those that can’t afford it.”

Unlike many pediatric hospitals and research centers, St. Jude provides groundbreaking treatment for all of its patients regardless of financial ability. All costs are covered by the American Lebanese Syrian Associated Charities, as well as funds donated to the hospital. Up ’til Dawn is one of the most popular St. Jude fundraising events.

“So far approximately $10,000 has been raised,” Vance Aloupis, director of Up ’til Dawn, said. “We are very happy at how well it’s gone.”

Pictures of children who survived the battle with cancer or presently suffer from cancer were posted throughout the UC to remind everyone of the goals of the organization. As this year’s fundraising continued, no one lost sight of the cause.

While turnout for the event was not as high as expected, event organizers were satisfied with Up ’til Dawn’s accomplishments.

“This is a decent turnout for the first Up ’til Dawn celebration at the University,” Villamor Asuncion, executive board member, said. “As long as UM is here, St. Jude will be here and it will continue to grow.”

For more information regarding St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital and how you can help, visit www.stjude.org or call the Volunteer Services Center at 305-284-GIVE.

Myriam Clerge can be contacted at m.clerge@umiami.edu.

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

A new batch of evidence presented Monday at the college basketball trial in New York seems to furthe ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...