Republican’s view from inside Kerry campaign rally

A festive atmosphere of hatred swept through Sen. John Kerry’s Presidential campaign rally at UM on Sunday afternoon. Kerry campaign workers exclaimed, “Let the Bush people know they are not wanted here.” Members of the College Democrats blocked my entrance and let at least 50 students standing behind me into the rally first because of my Bush-Cheney sticker. I gained admission only after promising not to protest, which I had no intention of doing. I understand not wanting any protestors within 20 feet of Kerry, but arrogantly stonewalling me at the door because of my political affiliation stands against the inclusive nature that the University of Miami represents.

Kerry’s comments further cemented his flip-flopping stance on key issues.

The senator claimed we really didn’t need to liberate Iraq and accused President Bush of lying to America about our reasons for going to war. Kerry said, “The American people, with respect to issues of war and peace, are owed the truth. The U.S. deserves a President who understands we don’t go to war because we want to but because we have to.”

With access to the Bush Administration’s top-level intelligence, Kerry voted for the use of force in Iraq on Oct. 11, 2002. At the first Democratic Presidential Debate, Kerry said, “I think it was the right decision to disarm Saddam Hussein, and when the President made the decision I supported him, and I support that we did disarm him” (5/4/03 Columbia, S.C.). Kerry has also stated, “Terrorism is a global menace. It’s a scourge. And it is absolutely vital that we continue; for instance, Saddam Hussein” (CNN’s “Larry King Live,” 12/14/01). Should America trust the Presidency to a man who cannot even take a consistent stance on war?

On Oct. 25, 2001, Kerry voted for the Patriot Act. He later said, “Most of [the Patriot Act]has to do with improving the transfer of information between CIA and FBI, and it has to do with things that really were quite necessary in the wake of what happened on Sept. 11” (Remarks At Town Hall Meeting, Manchester, N.H., 8/6/03). At UM Kerry declared, “I ask you to march with me for the right to have an attorney general who is not John Ashcroft and who respects the U.S. Constitution.”

The United States cannot afford to elect a flip-flopping President weak on terrorism and defense. Would bin Laden prefer a President who has destroyed over two-thirds of Al-Qaeda, used the Patriot Act to brake six U.S. terror cells and wiped out the terrorists states of Afghanistan and Iraq? Or would Osama want a man who may or may not have the resolve to fight him?

Pete Trombadore can be contacted at p.trombadore@umiami.edu.

It sure sounds like redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is going to get his first career start at 8 Thurs ...

If he hasn’t made it already, Miami Hurricanes coach Mark Richt has a defining decision to ponder in ...

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned one of the most prestigious coll ...

The University of Miami volleyball program defeated Duke, 3-1, winning its fourth straight match and ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...

The season-opening, three-day Miami Fall Invite wrapped up Sunday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center a ...