EDITORIAL Johnny B. Good

Football has lost the spotlight. Well, temporarily at least.

Sen. John Kerry held a rally at UM on Sunday, pushing politics into center stage on campus.

Maybe not entirely: the first thing Kerry mentioned about UM at the rally held on Sunday was how we excel in sports (and the fact that Miami students are good looking…whether or not we really want to be known for these reasons is a different story).

Football and good looks aside, the turnout for the rally was impressive. It was encouraging to see giddy, eager, excited people lining up for hours to enter the rally. The feeling among the crowd was bubbly, energetic and mostly good-humored, and whether or not you agreed with what Kerry said, we all appreciated the opportunity to see a Presidential candidate almost face-to-face.

With this event, our University is officially taking the plunge into the heated Presidential campaign.

Last week, we ran an editorial stating that too many UM students were apathetic regarding national politics. The rally showed that students are fighting this stereotype. It is the first in a series of events that will bring politics to our campus, culminating with the Presidential Debate in September.

In many ways, the rally was unforgettable. It will be a highlight of our college careers, something we will always bring up in family and college reunions. We cherish one of the unique opportunities we have to be so close to a prominent politician – how often do we have a Presidential candidate speaking directly to us as opposed to through a TV screen?

Yes, we enjoyed our clich

Throughout the four years he spent as a tackle for the Miami Hurricanes, Tyree St. Louis never consi ...

Finally, a marquee home game for the University of Miami men’s basketball team, a game big enough th ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larranaga, awaiting word from the NCAA on the appeal to rei ...

The Hurricanes officially welcomed ballyhooed new quarterback Tate Martell on campus Friday, and he’ ...

Before Jess Simpson’s final playoff run as the coach of Buford fell short in a Georgia state champio ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

The University of Miami women's swimming and diving team finished off a clean sweep of in-state ...

"We're excited to welcome these coaches to the Miami family," Diaz said. ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team recorded its second win of the day Saturday evening at the ...

Chris Lykes scored 20 points, but the Canes come up just short against No. 13 UNC. ...

In the first of its two matches Saturday at the FGCU Tennis Complex, the No. 17 Miami women's t ...