Yellow Rose addresses minority women’s issues in annual play

The modern young woman has to deal with a lot of issues, and the Yellow Rose Society aimed to display those during their twelfth annual production of Genesis: Love and Life. This year, the focus of the play was relationships, mental health and interracial relationships.

“We wanted to bring up women’s issues that would be humorous as well as serious,” Jendayi Muntu, sophomore and Yellow Rose board member, said.

Yellow Rose has served as a community service organization for minority women on campus for 13 years. Its goal is to raise awareness of women’s issues through involvement on campus and the community.

Written by club members Rudyra McBain and Astin Hayes, both sophomores, Genesis follows the lives and relationships of four college friends. One girl has a hard time letting go of her ex-boyfriend of three years, while another is uneasy about dating someone of another race.

The play included a new, interactive twist this year – during key points of the plot when the characters had to make crucial decisions, the audience was given the choice of which direction the story should go. The audience became an integral part of the play as each new vote was taken.

“The interactive style kept the show interesting while showing real life issues and concerns,” Brittany Lambert, freshman, said.

The play contained scenes of adultery and fights but maintained its serious tone by touching on the topic of suicide and offering information about the Counseling Center on campus. The club made sure to enforce the need for women – and men – to confront the problems in their lives by asking for help.

“The play surpassed my expectations completely,” Kara Brown, freshman, said. “It was great.”

For more information about the Yellow Rose Society, email Jazmane Morgan at Jnmore98@aol.com. The Counseling Center can be contacted at 305-284-5511.

Camille Cohen can be contacted at c.cohen@umiami.edu.

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Mark Richt is sticking with the veteran. The Miami Hurricanes coach announced during the weekly Atla ...

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

For the second straight year, all of the Miami women's basketball teams will be televised and f ...

The University of Miami soccer team heads to the Tar Heel state for a pair of road matches beginning ...

Get to Know U is a series that introduces the newest members of the Miami Hurricanes track and field ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...