Trustee recalls segregation struggle before Brown decision

UM Trustee Thelma Gibson lived through the landmark Supreme Court decision Brown v. Board of Education [Brown] that overturned the “separate but equal” doctrine established half a century earlier in Plessy v. Ferguson. Fifty years ago, she was not allowed to attend UM, nor was she allowed to train nurses at Jackson Memorial Hospital because of the color of her skin. Today she sits on the Board of Trustees of both UM and the hospital.

“I just hope you young people understand that all kinds of things have happened since all of this desegregation took place,” Gibson said. “There is so much more that has brought us up to this point.”

Gibson gave the “eyewitness view” of the times last Monday, when the UM School of Law Center for Ethics and Public Service [CEPS] arranged the program “Looking Back 50 Years at Brown v. Board of Education: A Window into American Society and Schools in 1954, ‘Separate but (NOT) Equal.'”

“We wanted to commemorate Brown and what a significant decision it was 50 years ago,” Laura Walker, organizer of the event, said.

According to Hilton Napoleon, another event organizer, the main purpose of the forum was to make people aware of the case and its impact on society.

“A lot of people didn’t even know what Brown was, let alone the effect it had on people,” Napoleon said.

The discussion forum brought together distinguished panelists who chronicled various aspects of the landmark decision.

Other panelists discussed the existence, albeit not as prevalent as before, of segregation today. More than one person said that the struggle for equality still continues.

“It’s a story that’s still going on,” D. Marvin Jones, professor at the School of Law, said. “A vision that has yet to be realized for the masses.”

CEPS plans to follow up on the issue with another forum in the fall.

For more information on CEPS and the forums, contact Laura Walker at 305-284-8654.

Megha Garg can be contacted at m.garg2@umiami.edu.

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

If there was one freshman the Miami Hurricanes knew would have to help entering the season, Brevin J ...

Not only has Gerald Willis been one of the best stories of the Miami Hurricanes’ season, he has also ...

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that global pressures are makin ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

U.S. Congresswoman and Chairman Emerita of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs Ileana Ros-Lehtine ...

Nearly 400 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service da ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...