KERRY IS COMING TO CAMPUS

John Kerry, Senator and expected democratic nominee for the 2004 Presidential election, will be coming to campus this Sunday at 1:45 p.m. on the Rock. This year, college students – notoriously apathetic when it comes to politics – are expected to have more of an impact in elections.

The Hurricane participated in a conference call with Kerry last Tuesday, during which Kerry discussed the role of college students in this year’s election, as well as his plans to increase college affordability.

“We need to make some of the issues that matter to people some of the voting issues again,” Kerry said.

He also touched on issues concerning unemployment rates, healthcare and Social Security.

“We want students to begin to recognize their power in helping to decide the outcome of this election,” Kerry said. “Young people have this enormous power and they really have to understand and embrace it.”

According to a nationwide survey from Harvard University, college students have the potential to be the “swing vote” in the 2004 presidential election. Fifty-nine percent of the 1,200 undergraduate students surveyed said they would “definitely be voting” in the election, while 27 percent said they will “probably” vote.

Thirty-two percent of Americans between the ages of 18 and 24 voted in the 2000 election, and it’s expected that more will come out and vote this year.

UM students recently had the chance to vote for a presidential candidate in mock elections held by the Council for Democracy and the College Republicans. Kerry captured 55.2 percent of the 212 votes, while George W. Bush received 35.4 percent of the votes. Ralph Nader took 6.12 percent of the votes.

Currently, there are three voting precincts near the UM campus: West Laboratory School, St. Augustine Catholic Church and the UM Convocation Center, recently added as a voting site for the upcoming presidential election.

The ongoing Get Out the Vote campaign has thus far registered 866 UM students to vote through their registration drives, competitions and tables set up at most politically-oriented events on campus.

“We are just going to make sure we voice our opinions through voting,” Mike Johnston, director of Get Out the Vote, said. “If you don’t get out and vote, then I don’t think you have any right to complain about it.”

Also, in order to partake in presidential debate events, students are going to have to show either a voter registration card or their international visas.

In the last presidential elections, out of more than 20,000 registered Coral Gables residents, 10,042 actually voted. According to Johnston, the 3,000 UM students who are Coral Gables residents theoretically represent a third of the voting population. The 18 to 21-year-old age group is nationally the most underrepresented population of voters.

“If you can get all of the college campuses involved, that’s huge,” Ankita Desai, freshman, said. “You can really make a difference with that.”

Megha Garg can be contacted at m.garg2@umiami.edu.

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The Miami women's tennis team opened play Friday at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Pr ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team impressed in its quad-meet Friday af ...

The University of Miami volleyball team (10-6, 6-3 ACC) came up short in an ACC home match for the f ...

Junior averaged 11.4 points and 6.7 rebounds per game last season. ...

University of Miami head coach Gino DiMare released the Hurricanes' 2019 baseball schedule Thur ...