BOOK REVIEW $14.95 for a book of humorous tips on how to survive college without spending $14.95

Dealing with a nightmare roommate, eating gross cafeteria food, surviving classes…Sound like average college concerns? Well, now students have a little help, in the form of a book. The Worst-Case Scenario Survival Handbook[s]have been popping up on shelves in almost every bookstore; covering topics such as golf, travel, and work, the handbooks are full of comical and sometimes practical tips on how to survive odd situations. The newest addition to the line of books is the college edition, 167 pages of tips for surviving what is supposed to be the “best time of your life.” The book is divided into four sections: getting settled, room and board, extracurricular survival skills, and class survival. Following the divisions, the book is broken down even more to assess particular situations, such as how to survive sports emergencies, stadium riots, and avoiding the dreaded freshman fifteen. Although the book is thoroughly entertaining and occasionally somewhat informative, as a whole, it is not to be taken seriously.

To make a point, how exactly can food be measured in mugs of beer, and how often do college bars serve beer in mugs? Unless Tavern and Sandbar are not up to fashion, pitchers and glasses seem to be the most popular mode of delivering foaming glasses of alcohol to the wide-eyed and eager student populous. But then of course, the survival handbook does supply quick remedies for such troubles as squeaking bedsprings, opening a bottle without an available bottle opener, and how to eat for under a dollar. Essentially, the book and its $14.95 price tag is an appeal to the whimsical students who don’t mind paying for a book that will later become a mere shelf adornment. The attempt was well thought of, but honestly, isn’t it rather ironic that a person who’s trying to eat for under a dollar has to pay $14.95 (sans tax) to find out how?

Joanna Davila can be contacted at j.davila1@umiami.edu.

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

A new batch of evidence presented Monday at the college basketball trial in New York seems to furthe ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

U.S. Congresswoman and Chairman Emerita of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs Ileana Ros-Lehtine ...

Nearly 400 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service da ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...