A Week 4 Life educates about HIV/AIDS

Every minute, about 10 people contract the HIV virus worldwide, according to the American Foundation for AIDS Research. Student organizations, fueled by this alarming statistic and other facts, launched A Week 4 Life [AW4L] 11 years ago to educate students about HIV/AIDS prevention and the impact that it has had domestically and worldwide.

“Our aim is to remove the stigma from HIV,” said Thomas Spann, program director of the Red Cross prevention in Miami-Dade and the Keys. “Once we start talking about it, people can get help.”

The week kicked off with Pandemic Movies in the residential colleges highlighting the effect of AIDS in Thailand, Brazil and Uganda.

An informational AIDS forum was held Tuesday night to inform students about statistics and research and to prompt student discussion about their concerns.

Panelists included Dr. Karen Wyche, associate professor of the psychology department, sophomore T

It wasn’t long ago when the Miami Hurricanes’ Class of 2020 included the top three rising senior pro ...

Six new Hurricanes football players arrived on campus and began classes Monday, a group including a ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship schedule is set. The No. 4 seed Miami Hurricanes ...

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ hopes for hosting an NCAA regional were damaged a bit on Friday night by a 12- ...

Imagine simulating diabetes, lung cancer, or heart disease on a device no larger than a credit card. ...

Alabama’s new abortion law puts the issue of women’s rights in the spotlight for the upcoming 2020 e ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Researchers from 16 Latin American and Caribbean countries, hosted by the Institute for the Advanced ...

Four Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the Atlantic Coast Conference Monday for their ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team started her NCAA Singles Cha ...

The Barcelona, Spain, native caps his sophomore campaign with a team-high 21 singles wins. ...

The University of Miami track and field program garnered 20 entries in the 2019 NCAA East Preliminar ...

Miami's schedule features seven matches against teams that reached the NCAA Championship. ...