A Week 4 Life educates about HIV/AIDS

Every minute, about 10 people contract the HIV virus worldwide, according to the American Foundation for AIDS Research. Student organizations, fueled by this alarming statistic and other facts, launched A Week 4 Life [AW4L] 11 years ago to educate students about HIV/AIDS prevention and the impact that it has had domestically and worldwide.

“Our aim is to remove the stigma from HIV,” said Thomas Spann, program director of the Red Cross prevention in Miami-Dade and the Keys. “Once we start talking about it, people can get help.”

The week kicked off with Pandemic Movies in the residential colleges highlighting the effect of AIDS in Thailand, Brazil and Uganda.

An informational AIDS forum was held Tuesday night to inform students about statistics and research and to prompt student discussion about their concerns.

Panelists included Dr. Karen Wyche, associate professor of the psychology department, sophomore T

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

A new batch of evidence presented Monday at the college basketball trial in New York seems to furthe ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...