POLICE BEAT: Helmet, light colors keep bikers safe

Pick up the paper every Friday to read the Public Safety call log and learn ways to protect yourself and your belongings.

Safety Tip of the Week:
The following are bicycle tips given by the Director of Public Safety, Henry Christensen: Wear a helmet. More than 70 percent of bicycle-related fatalities are the result of head injuries. At night, always wear light-colored clothing and make use of lights and reflectors to increase visibility. More than half of adult bicycle fatalities occur during twilight or nighttime hours. Ride with traffic. Don’t ride against the flow of traffic. Park in well-lighted and well-traveled areas, and use bike racks on campus. Protect your bike. Keep it properly locked when unattended. Public Safety is now selling U type locks at half price, $15, while supplies last.

THURSDAY APRIL 1

10:50 p.m. 1211 Dickinson Dr. Vandalism

SATURDAY APRIL 3

5:35 p.m. 1241 Dickinson Dr. Vandalism

SUNDAY APRIL 4

11:06 p.m. 1239 Dickinson Dr. Burglary

MONDAY APRIL 5

2:30 p.m. 5665 Ponce de Leon Simple Battery
5:60 p.m. 1241 Dickinson Dr. Simple Battery

TUESDAY APRIL 6

3:03 p.m. 5050 Brunson Dr. Burglary/Vehicle

The Hurricane is currently working to improve Police Beat by working with Coral Gables Police Department.
For more information on crimes and crime prevention, contact Public Safety at 284-6666.

Eleven football seasons ago, after the Miami Hurricanes and FIU Panthers met at the Orange Bowl for ...

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball program won its third straight match in 3-0 fashion on Friday night ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team registered two straight-set wins Friday ...

It's been over a decade since they last met, but Miami and FIU are set to renew their crosstown ...

The University of Miami cross country team gears up to compete in its third meet of the season this ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a five-year contract extensio ...