POLICE BEAT: Helmet, light colors keep bikers safe

Pick up the paper every Friday to read the Public Safety call log and learn ways to protect yourself and your belongings.

Safety Tip of the Week:
The following are bicycle tips given by the Director of Public Safety, Henry Christensen: Wear a helmet. More than 70 percent of bicycle-related fatalities are the result of head injuries. At night, always wear light-colored clothing and make use of lights and reflectors to increase visibility. More than half of adult bicycle fatalities occur during twilight or nighttime hours. Ride with traffic. Don’t ride against the flow of traffic. Park in well-lighted and well-traveled areas, and use bike racks on campus. Protect your bike. Keep it properly locked when unattended. Public Safety is now selling U type locks at half price, $15, while supplies last.

THURSDAY APRIL 1

10:50 p.m. 1211 Dickinson Dr. Vandalism

SATURDAY APRIL 3

5:35 p.m. 1241 Dickinson Dr. Vandalism

SUNDAY APRIL 4

11:06 p.m. 1239 Dickinson Dr. Burglary

MONDAY APRIL 5

2:30 p.m. 5665 Ponce de Leon Simple Battery
5:60 p.m. 1241 Dickinson Dr. Simple Battery

TUESDAY APRIL 6

3:03 p.m. 5050 Brunson Dr. Burglary/Vehicle

The Hurricane is currently working to improve Police Beat by working with Coral Gables Police Department.
For more information on crimes and crime prevention, contact Public Safety at 284-6666.

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday night: ▪ FIU has decided that its Nov. 23 football game agains ...

Dewan Hernandez hit another NCAA roadblock on Monday, but the University of Miami forward will take ...

Jeff Thomas will be joining the Illinois Fighting Illini after all. After a few days of discussion a ...

While the University of Miami awaits what quarterback it will get Feb. 6 on National Signing Day, ne ...

It appears the University of Miami football program has found its answer to intelligent, energetic, ...

Grantees aim to eliminate opportunity gaps and biases in different realms and improve brain injury t ...

The film launches the 2019 film series for the UM Libraries Cuban Heritage Collection. ...

Here’s a go-to list of dates you should keep an eye on throughout the semester, along with some tidb ...

For more than 77 years, UM Hillel has provided a vibrant and diverse “home-away-from-home” that is f ...

University of Miami experts weigh in on the largest increase in carbon emissions in eight years. ...

The University of Miami football program has hired Dan Enos as its offensive coordinator and quarter ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team wrapped up play on its first weekend of competition Sunday ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team wrapped up play at the Miami Spring Invite Sunday, wi ...

Chris Lykes scored 25 points as Miami got past Wake Forest. ...