News Briefs

UM ranks 18th among wireless campuses

Intel released its Most Unwired Cities survey, which is issued everywhere from airports to overall cities. As part of this year’s study, Intel also looked at the most unwired campuses in the country that offered the greatest wireless Internet access. UM came in as No. 18 in the nation. According to Intel’s Most Unwired College Campuses survey, the top five wireless campuses are Indiana University, Purdue University in Indiana, the University of Texas, Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland and Dartmouth College in New Hampshire.

Sigma Chi fraternity’s secrets offered on eBay before removal
Indiana Daily Student (Indiana U.)

Google announces Gmail, the searchable e-mail

Google announced on April 1 that it would launch a new e-mail service known as Gmail and will automatically organize e-mail according to topic and allow users to search all their e-mail – including sender, text and subject lines – in the same way they search the Web, Wayne Rosing, Google’s vice president of engineering, said Wednesday. (See more information at www.gmail.com.) Because of the statement that Gmail offers an entire gigabyte of storage, Google’s history for pulling April Fool’s pranks, and the comic nature of the press release issued on April 1, there has been some speculation that Gmail is a hoax. Jonathan Rosenberg, vice president of the products group at Google, assured that the Gmail announcement was genuine. He added that the company did get caught up in the spirit of April Fool’s Day in its press release.

UM professors to investigate Gravitron accident at fair

Two UM engineering professors, Ronald Zollo and Carol Hays, have been consulted to assist in the investigation of an accident that occurred on one of the rides, the Gravitron, at the Miami-Dade County Youth Fair last weekend. State regulators have banned the ride from fairs and carnivals across the state until the source of the problem is revealed. The accident caused three people to be catapulted from the ride when a technical malfunction occurred. According to investigators, a bolt seemed to have broken off and caused the panel to split open, but nothing has yet been determined.

UM professor and noted artist William Carlson will receive the 2004 Distinguished Educators Award from the James Renwick Alliance.

The deadline to apply for UMTV Leadership Positions is this Friday, April 9.

Boston College star Ky Bowman came down with a 102-degree fever on Saturday night. Jordan Chatman an ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Sunday: ▪ New UM defensive coordinator Blake Baker has asked UM ...

Emese Hof and No. 20 Miami think they can play with anyone, and it shows. Hof scored 18 of her 25 po ...

New University of Miami baseball head coach Gino DiMare wanted to start strong. He got perfection. T ...

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The Hurricanes dropped a tight contest with the Eagles in Chestnut Hill, 64-57. ...

The sophomore first baseman slugged his second homer of the weekend to lead the Canes to a series wi ...

Junior Renate Grimstad led the way for Miami and is tied for 18th at one-over-par, while sophomore K ...