LETTER TO THE EDITOR

To the Editor:

Your April 6 editorial, “Lost in Translation,” missed the point in the immigration debate. Yes, Miami became what it is in no small part due to multiculturalism, and various ethnic groups have added wonderful dynamics to this city. The same is true for all cities where immigrants have clustered.
However, I must concur with Huntington’s notion that immigrants must share in the American dream “in English.” Many of us grew up never suspecting that we’d have to learn Spanish, but now we wonder if we’ll be able to succeed without it – yet we lack the time and energy to learn it. If people are going to live in America, they ought to learn English rather than make the country accommodate them by learning their native tongue. The same should hold true for any immigrant in any other country.
An ever-more-significant minority acts like it can come to America and still pledge its first loyalty to its countries of origin. There are more than a few American-born children of Hispanic nationals who do this because they can get away with it, and I suspect the problem stems largely from our country’s bumper supply of illegal aliens. That is the real problem. People who have no respect for our borders (and therefore our laws) probably don’t have too much respect for us or for our culture in general.
We should welcome immigrants who come to pursue the American dream and appreciate the contributions they make to our culture. All we should expect in return is that they not look for handouts, break our laws or try leaving language barriers between themselves and the general public – common courtesy, really.

Sincerely,

Nicholas G. Moses

To the Editor:

A recent column posed the question of circumcision being an unnecessary, inhuman surgery. Opinions are personal, but medical and historical factors can’t be refuted.
Circumcision isn’t a surgery but a preemptive treatment, done with the help of anesthesia and sterilized medical equipment. It’s an attempt to avoid a series of medical problems whose chance might be increased without it.
The only medical downfall listed in the column is the supposed loss of pleasure during intercourse. While children might experience some swelling in the area for a day or two, the medical consensus is that loss of sexual feelings only happens if circumcision is performed during adulthood. Being circumcised, I can testify circumcised adults have just as much fun.
The medical upsides of being circumcised are numerous: less chance of developing serious kidney infections than uncircumcised ones, less chance of acquiring STDs – including HIV – and less chance of invasive cancer of the penis. Circumcised men are less susceptible to developing eczema, psoriasis and phimosis. The only solution: immediate circumcision, no matter the age.
While one could argue the ethics of parents deciding for newborns, the law allows parents to decide for their children’s medical procedures up to 10 or 14 years of age, depending on the situation.
Finally, circumcision isn’t a practice only of Jews or Arabs; it has been performed by tribes from Africa to Australia, with no related religious affiliation, for many years. In today’s society you don’t need to belong to any one religion to be circumcised – people got smarter than that.

Sincerely,

Danny Paskin

The early signing period is right around the corner and the Miami Hurricanes have plenty of work to ...

We examined where UM stands with defensive recruiting, by position, in this piece. Here’s a look at ...

Lakeland, for the most part, has always been Florida Gators country. Florida has been able to rely o ...

University of Miami defensive coordinator Manny Diaz is receiving strong consideration for the head ...

While the University of Miami has just three Class of 2019 oral commitments on offense, the Canes ha ...

UM public relations students unveiled their plans to reposition March for Our Lives to attract colle ...

The answer to that question may impact what happens to the European Union. ...

Most UM Debate Team members devote 10 to 15 hours of preparation for each tournament. ...

National Geographic connects with the University of Miami to empower the next generation of storytel ...

Following national recognition for its French production of Cinderella, the Frost Opera Theater is d ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...

Gerald Willis III added to his postseason awards list, picking up second-team All-America honors fro ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...

After a six-day layoff, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team will be back in action Sund ...