FASHION SWEAT IT: UM students’ distinctive fashion sense

What do you get when you mix mod Brits, funky South Americans, gorgeous California beach bums, and dare to bare it all Floridians? UM’s eclectic fashion sense.

Miami is a cultural breeding ground for chic style and the latest trends, and so is this university that proudly calls Miami its home. If you look around on an average day when everyone is changing classes, you’ll notice how many UM students really are showing off their great fashion sense in a myriad of ways. From your South American funk: low slung ripped jeans, flashy bright sneakers, big earrings, and that I-just-rolled-out-of-bed-but-damn-I-look-good sex appeal, to the ever-popular California surfer boy look: worn shorts, Rainbow flip flops, tousled hair, vintage tees, and perfectly bronzed skin. Even those who cross the pond to study here bring their eclectic yet elegant style from England. The girls clad in Topshop and Miss Selfridge’s latest bright chiffon tops with their mod jewelry and killer boots; to the men wearing their soccer jerseys and patriotic sports wristbands. It’s evident that students come here from different parts of the world bringing their native styles with them. However, fashion isn’t just about what you’re wearing but how you strut your stuff or show your duds. I tried to focus on those individuals who didn’t just look good in the clothes they were wearing but in their own skin. Trying to stay away from the trends that just need to go away (i.e. Juicy Couture slip dresses and novelty shirts from UO). Since last week EDGE indulged you with fashion faux pas, better known as fashion don’ts, this week I’ve decided to focus on what makes UM such a breeding ground for fashion. Just realize that in the end, the number of people who dare to take risks and be different in a good way, outweigh those who just follow the flock.

Marcia Hernandez can be contacted at m.hernandez28@umiami.edu

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Mark Richt is sticking with the veteran. The Miami Hurricanes coach announced during the weekly Atla ...

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

For the second straight year, all of the Miami women's basketball teams will be televised and f ...

The University of Miami soccer team heads to the Tar Heel state for a pair of road matches beginning ...

Get to Know U is a series that introduces the newest members of the Miami Hurricanes track and field ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...