ART REVIEW Cuban masterpieces reside at Cernuda Arte

If “The Colors of Today” conjure up to mind vivid, radiant hues, then you won’t be disappointed with Cernuda Arte’s current exhibition. Classic meets Cuba, or at least the walls of this Coral Gables gallery. “The Colors of Today,” appropriately titled, represents what is being felt at this moment in time through the eyes and minds of different artists. Cernuda Arte prides itself in showcasing Cuban art by Cuban artists whom mostly live in the estranged country. The first floor of the gallery mostly features contemporary art while the second floor, La Barbacoa, dedicates itself to the veteran masters. Sundry colors, textures, and different media types constitute the timeless illustrations posed on their walls.

Flora Fong, a contemporary artist currently residing in Cuba, depicts the tropics. Vibrant, splashes of color are found in her paintings as well as nature and its elements. Aguacero abstractly depicts a rainstorm as one of nature’s forces as it manages to capture the gusts of wind and palm trees bending, as the clouds hover above.

Sandro De La Rosa integrates elements of classic art. In Cuando Baja la Marea, the cherub, seashells, and “abanico” [fan]symbolize a mixture of the past with the new. De La Rosa serves to integrate the jumble of seashells contextualized by the pattern on the fan, juxtaposed next to a serene cherub or angel. It’s De La Rosa’s interpretation and continuation of what has come before us.

Ismael G

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

The Frost Chopin Festival and Academy at the University of Miami provides unparalleled experiences f ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

The University of Miami volleyball program is set to host the Hurricane Invitational and nine ACC ho ...

Games will be contested July 3-14 in Naples, Italy. ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...