Former UM student goes AWOL, turns himself in

A former UM student is being charged with desertion after turning himself in to the U.S. Army for being absent without leave for five months.

Staff Sgt. Camilo Mejia, a member of the Army National Guard who was studying psychology at UM before being called to active duty, turned himself in to authorities March 16 and requested conscientious objector status – designating a member who does not engage in combat – based on his belief that the war in Iraq is immoral.

Mejia served six months in the Sunni Triangle of Iraq. He made his decision while home on leave for two weeks through the U.S. Central Command’s Rest and Relaxation Program.

During his time being AWOL, Mejia spent most of his time in New York. He turned himself in at Hanscom Air Force Base in Massachusetts. The military allowed Mejia to return to his Guard unit in Miami, and from there he was sent to Fort Stewart, Ga.

“Sgt. Mejia was read the charges of desertion – which is a crime under the Uniform Code of Military Justice [UCMJ] – on March 24, but he has not been arrested,” Lt. Col. Clifford Kent, public affairs officer at Fort Stewart, said. “We believe he will go to trial in May, but his request for conscientious objector status is a separate issue and will not have an effect on his case.”

Mejia’s pass privileges were revoked, so he cannot leave Fort Stewart, but he is free to move about on the post and go bowling, swimming and shopping. He is also allowed to have visitors.

According to Kent, this is quite common for any soldier facing action under the UCMJ.

“He is being treated fairly and honorably as with any other soldier within the legal system,” Kent said. “He is not being spotlighted for special treatment of any kind.”

I think he truly had a moment where he thought, “I can’t do this – it’s not morally right.” -JOSE RODRIGUEZ, FORMER ADVISOR

While the military may not be giving him special consideration, Mejia is receiving national attention for his actions.

Feelings concerning the situation are split, some agreeing with Rodriguez and others questioning the method by which Mejia decided to voice his opposition to the war.

“I don’t believe Camilo thought about how politically charged his decision would be,” Jose Rodriguez, Mejia’s former advisor in the Department of Psychology, said. “I think he truly had a moment where he thought, ‘I can’t do this – it’s not morally right.'”

Describing him as a “very kind soul,” Rodriguez believes Mejia is “getting a bum wrap for having the courage to speak his mind against the administration and the war in general.”

“Whereas I might be inclined to believe that a soldier involved in war who conscientiously objects…could be afforded a certain sympathy, my sympathies do not extend as far in this situation,” said Adam Altman, J.D. and professor in the Department of Psychology. “While Sgt. Mejia should not be forced to take up the charge of war when sufficient numbers of others willingly will do so…the ends in this instance do not justify the means because other means apparently were available to him.”

No matter what public opinion is, Mejia’s future will be in the hands of either a military judge or a panel of his peers, depending on which his defense team chooses. If convicted, he could face a bad conduct discharge and a year in confinement.

Catherine Howden can be contacted at c.howden@umiami.edu.

After the Miami Hurricanes football team spent part of its practice on Monday in a torrential downpo ...

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

They are two big bodies with experience, but new to the University of Miami. And the Miami Hurricane ...

Freshman quarterback Jarren Williams, who returned to practice Wednesday after missing most of Tuesd ...

Corey Gaynor is working hard to solidify his spot as backup center to UM senior standout Tyler Gauth ...

Intergroup Dialogue, soon to be offered as a course, fosters a sense of belonging, an appreciation f ...

Aretha Franklin and her music defined “what is soul” to generations of music lovers. ...

The University of Miami kicked into high gear to welcome thousands of new students and ensure move-i ...

UM President Julio Frenk welcomes first-year and transfer students to UM in signature ’Cane Kickoff ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

In head coach Sarah Barnes' debut at the helm, the University of Miami soccer team won its seas ...

The Hurricanes practiced in the Carol Soffer Indoor Practice Facility for the first time ever on Fri ...

Malik Rosier, Travis Homer and Ahmmon Richards are key returning playmakers, but they are just the b ...

The University of Miami soccer team will travel to Boca Raton, Fla., Friday night as the team kicks ...

The University of Miami's volleyball team returns to the Knight Sports Complex on Saturday at 3 ...