CD REVIEW BARING HIS SOUL ALONGSIDE HIS PIANO, BEN JELEN STANDS OUT FROM THE REST

Writer, producer, and performer- newcomer to the mainstream music industry, Ben Jelen (pronounced Yellin) is a package deal, providing sweet sounds and intriguing lyrics. His CD titled Give it All Away, set to debut April 13, is a smooth mix of personally insightful songs, moving ballads and head bobbing beats. Evidently, like most male soloists, Ben is tailored to target the female crowd, and will probably send most typical men running away screaming about how they don’t like emotional topics that have anything to do with women. (Interesting how the opposite sex seems to be a man’s most loved and hated subject.) Anyways, the songster croons alongside an assortment of rather unexpected instruments, making many remarkably well-mixed songs that just grab onto the heart. While all the tracks begin with piano notes, songs such as, “She’ll Hear You” and “Every Step” have short and sweet resonance specific to the banjo and string instruments. The title track is bittersweet, with whisperings of “my world is swirling around…to feel the life, I’d give it all away,” Jelen talks of a special lady, but one only wonders what else Ben would give it all away for. Lacking the Broadway feel of singer Clay Aiken, the sexual healing provided by John Mayer a la “Your Body is a Wonderland,” and the remedies of Jason Mraz, Ben has a style of his own, singling him out from the rest of the lovelorn eye candy that comprise their own section in Virgin Megastore. Regardless of whether or not Ben’s single, “Come On” plays early in the morning on MTV or not, he is talented. And for now, Ben Jelen and his piano are here to “Stay.”

Joanna Davila can be contacted at j.davila1@umiami.edu.

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

A new batch of evidence presented Monday at the college basketball trial in New York seems to furthe ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

U.S. Congresswoman and Chairman Emerita of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs Ileana Ros-Lehtine ...

Nearly 400 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service da ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...