Beer 101: A learner’s permit for underage drinking

UM students, allow me to introduce you to your new friend, Jennifer Wiley.

You see, while the rest of us are still recovering from our spring break hangovers, Ms. Wiley, a 20-year-old intern on the Maryland-based radio show Beer Radio, has come up with a rather interesting proposal. She believes that for teenagers to truly learn to appreciate alcohol, laws should be passed to allow underage drinking in moderation during mealtimes accompanied by adults. That’s pretty reasonable.

According to Wiley, shot-laden birthday bashes that end with the spins could be a thing of the past if the government were to lower the drinking age. The Beer Radio staff even put the pitch in writing and sent it to Maryland legislature, where it currently sits unnoticed in a dusty stack of papers between “Marijuana Legalization” and “Jet Packs for Everyone” proposals.

But the problem isn’t unique to Maryland. In fact, every state has a legal drinking age of 21. To understand the situation, I present Ben Minkus’ brief history of drinking:

1920-33: Prohibition of alcohol; Kennedy family makes its fortune bootlegging scotch; Irish-Americans everywhere rejoice.

1929: Great Depression begins, largely the result of prohibition.

1933: Prohibition ends, with legal drinking age set at 21; FDR declared greatest president ever, even before World War II.

1961: John F. Kennedy wins presidency; uses White House bathtub to concoct “JFK’s Famous Hooch Juice”; Marilyn Monroe visits frequently.

1970s: 29 states lower drinking age in response to the Vietnam draft’s 18-year-old age minimum; soon thereafter, Nixon resigns.

1970-1983: motor vehicle crashes increase among teens in areas of lowered drinking age.

1988: In response to President Reagan’s Uniform Drinking Age Act, 21 becomes the national minimum legal drinking age; Reagan informed after waking from six-hour midday nap.

1988-present: nothing’s happened.

So, to all you underage drinkers out there who think this proposal should be passed, follow in the footsteps of Wiley; take the time to write out a similar proposal to your state legislature.

And if your schedule’s too busy, just imagine how much more time we’d have to ourselves if we all had jet packs.

Ben Minkus can be contacted at b.minkus@umiami.edu.

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The Miami women's tennis team turned in a strong showing Saturday at the ITA Southeast Regional ...

On the first day of Main Draw action at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Presented by Oracle ...

The University of Miami soccer team closes out action in the Tar Heel state with a match against thi ...

The Miami women's tennis team opened play Friday at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Pr ...

The Miami Hurricanes fell in their tri-meet with Georgia Tech and Notre Dame Saturday afternoon, dro ...