Venezuelans & Cubans protest in Little Havana

Last Saturday, several hundred Venezuelan and Cuban protesters marched in Little Havana, on Calle Ocho, to protest President Hugo Chavez’s government in Venezuela and Fidel Castro’s rule in Cuba. They also denounced terrorism, particularly the March 11 attacks in Spain. The march was organized by the Venezuelan opposition and Cuban exile groups in Miami, groups that equate Chavez and Castro to dictatorial rulers who pose a terrorist threat to the United States and the rest of the world.

Decked out in yellow, blue and red – the colors of the Venezuelan flag – and the red, white and blue of the Cuban and American flags, the protesters shouted chants well known in Venezuela, such as “Urgent, urgent, a new president!”

Another chant, “I wasn’t paid; I came because I wanted to,” was a reference to the government allegedly paying people to attend its marches in Caracas, the Venezuelan capital.

Protesters carried banging pots, whistles and posters, in both English and Spanish, that read everything from “Chavez: Big fat liar” to “Bush, you’ve got a fire in your backyard.”

Venezuelan students from UM’s large Venezuelan student population enthusiastically participated in the march.

“It’s great that the community comes out to the streets [to support]democracy,” said Fabiana Paolini, sophomore and president of the newly established Venezuelan students organization, UNIVEN.

Other UNIVEN members were quick to agree.

“[The march] is excellent,” said Daniel Ochoa, sophomore, wearing a large Venezuelan flag as a cape. “Just excellent!”

“It’s really good that Venezuelans and Cubans living abroad are protesting and exercising their rights of free speech,” Andreina Castillo, freshman, said. “Even though this march is not as big as the ones in Venezuela, it’s important that we keep having them, because slowly more and more people will come. Venezuelans around the world should be able to express their discontent with the government.”

Venezuelan and Miami leaders spoke at the podium at the end of the march. Miami Mayor Manny Diaz congratulated the protesters and reminded them that it was the one-year anniversary of 75 journalists getting imprisoned in Cuba. Carlos Fernandez and Carlos Ortega, Venezuelan opposition members in exile, called out to the international community to become more aware of the situation in Venezuela.

“It’s not enough for a leader to be democratically elected,” Fernandez said, referring to the justification many international governments have given to Chavez’s rule. “[A leader] must remain within democratic parameters during his rule as well.”

Patricia Mazzei can be contacted at p.mazzei@umiami.edu.

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

If there was one freshman the Miami Hurricanes knew would have to help entering the season, Brevin J ...

Not only has Gerald Willis been one of the best stories of the Miami Hurricanes’ season, he has also ...

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that global pressures are makin ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

U.S. Congresswoman and Chairman Emerita of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs Ileana Ros-Lehtine ...

Nearly 400 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service da ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...