The undeniable presence of apathy overwhelms UM

In my ill-fated campaign for Student Government president, I ran on the idea that most students on campus feel that SG is irrelevant. In my conversations with former President Sadowski as well as with more than one senator on this issue, I’ve come to realize that this is not a problem of which SG is unaware. In fact, this isn’t even a problem that is unique to UM.

According to Sadowski, “This is a problem that student governments across this country grapple with.” I believe he’s right, which perhaps says more about the average college student than it does about student government.

On the final day of the runoff election this year, I had some time to help the candidate I was supporting hand out flyers. I was surprised by what appeared to be general hostility that we were being so impolite as to actually attempt to hand out campaign literature to potential voters. Some people were downright resentful. I mean, how dare we? Judging by the attitudes of some, you might have thought we were trying to sell these people insurance or something. Some people even made ridiculous comments, like the girl who said she didn’t vote in SG elections because she was “an anarchist.” Ah, yes, only on a college campus! I guess if somebody stole all her books and money she’d be all right with that since she doesn’t believe there should be any enforcement of rules (of course she probably doesn’t believe in books or money anyway). Then there was the guy in the guise of a hippie-wannabe who said he didn’t vote in the election because he was opposed to Greeks controlling Student Government. As if the preponderance of Greeks in Student Government is a conspiracy or something. HELLO! Greeks are the ones that come out and vote, you putz!

The great wise man Peter Maki said it best during the un-debate we all attended (and what a joke that event was): “If you’re going to complain about SG, get up and do something about it” – which I would remind you he did, as did I. The point is, if you really think SG is not doing its job, get up off your well-fed posterior and do something about it. There are many good people in SG. If they’re not doing what you want… it’s probably because you haven’t told them what you want. The Senate meets every Wednesday from 4 – 6 p.m., and the SG office is up in the I-Lounge. All it takes is putting one foot in front of the other. What’s the worst that can happen? You may surprise yourself and actually make a difference. It’s up to you.

Scott Wacholtz can be contacted at s.wacholtz@umiami.edu

The University of Miami womens’ basketball team made sure North Carolina fans didn’t get to celebrat ...

Throughout the four years he spent as a tackle for the Miami Hurricanes, Tyree St. Louis never consi ...

Finally, a marquee home game for the University of Miami men’s basketball team, a game big enough th ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larranaga, awaiting word from the NCAA on the appeal to rei ...

The Hurricanes officially welcomed ballyhooed new quarterback Tate Martell on campus Friday, and he’ ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

The Miami women's basketball team defeated North Carolina for the fourth consecutive year with ...

Former University of Miami soccer standout Phallon Tullis-Joyce has officially signed a professional ...

The Miami women's basketball team is set to host its first of three consecutive Sunday games th ...

The University of Miami women's swimming and diving team finished off a clean sweep of in-state ...

"We're excited to welcome these coaches to the Miami family," Diaz said. ...