NEWS BRIEFS

Lowe receives art donation

The Lowe Art Museum at UM has received a major boost to its compilation of ethnic and non-Western art, as well as to what was formerly a tiny collection of studio glass. Coral Gables collectors Alan and Claudia Potamkin and UM alumni Sheldon and Myrna Palley have donated an extensive collection of artwork to add to the diverse assortment on display at the museum.
Utah State student tries out life as a ‘Martianaut’
U-WIRE- Utah
Utah State University student Jamon Nielson spent two weeks experiencing the life of a “Martianaut” and conducted research with USU technology while living in the Mars Desert Research Station near Hanksville, Utah. During the two weeks, the six-member crew lived in an eight-meter cylindrical shelter, leaving only in space suits to conduct experiments and record data.
“In some sense you are cut off from your environment. I was like bubble boy,” Nielson said, adding it was weird not to be able to feel the wind or touch the things around him.
“I liked the whole environment, the whole simulations of what an astronaut would really go through,” he said.

University of Maryland gets OK to ban profane behavior by fans
U-WIRE- Maryland
A policy prohibiting profanity at the Comcast Center, home to a host of University of Maryland athletic teams, would not violate the First Amendment, Maryland’s assistant attorney general ruled last week, giving the green light for university officials and a student committee to discuss banning profane chants and T-shirts at Terrapin men’s basketball home games.

University of Miami tailback/fullback Trayone Gray, a popular fifth-year senior out of Miami Carol C ...

When Mother’s Day came around back in May, Keontra Smith knew it was time to unveil his college comm ...

University of Miami true freshman quarterback Jarren Williams was not at practice on Tuesday morning ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday: ▪ The Hurricanes, who began the offseason with five highly sk ...

There’s no doubt who the starting quarterback is at the University of Miami. As for those other thre ...

Conquer common back to school challenges with an expert's guide for parents and children. ...

Unique camp supports children whose parents have cancer. ...

New study shows that discriminating against workers with tattoos puts hiring managers at a competiti ...

Bill Clinton convenes the second summit of his CGI Action Network on Post-Disaster Recovery at UM. ...

A UM researcher has determined that children exposed to traumatic events exhibit pains that if left ...

Head coach Mark Richt, all 10 assistant coaches and more than 50 players met with the media at the N ...

The Miami Hurricanes were under the lights at Hard Rock Stadium Saturday, closing out the opening we ...

The University of Miami volleyball program reported for training on Tuesday, officially beginning pr ...

Several members of Miami's highly-rated recruiting class have entered fall camp hungry to prove ...

Two University of Miami Track and Field athletes represented their respective countries at the Europ ...