CD REVIEWS EKOFLO IS MORE OF A DRIP THAN A STEADY FLOW

They might have won the New York International Music Festival, but I remain unimpressed. The CD didn’t grab me or leave me wanting more. Frankly, I didn’t even want to finish listening to the first song, but I did. Listening to the next one and the next and the result was a bland imitation of 1990’s alternative rock. It’s not that I hated it or found it unbearable I just didn’t particularly enjoy it. My apathy partially stems from the CD’s low quality sound, making the music sound grainy at times. The songs are lyrically weak; track seven fooled me at first starting off pretty well lyrically and then just goes down hill. The instrumental intro to almost every song, with the exception of track three which starts off exactly like track one, are interesting and eclectic but after about the 15-30 second mark the song comes way off track. The lead vocalist doesn’t quite grasp his range and at times, especially in track six, he goes quite off tune. The drumming is usually off in most tracks and usually doesn’t go very well with the song, and the guitar-solos are quite pretentious. The band seems to make too much of an effort to sound like Incubus or Soundgarden, and doesn’t fully develop. The songs don’t follow a coherent path; they change sounds constantly and several times within one song. Overall they need work, but aren’t totally hopeless.

Margarita Varona can be contacted at m.varona@umiami.edu.

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

New technology could help schools identify shooters and other intruders before they enter the door. ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...